Ideas for DS to talk?

DS and I have a decent relationship, but I feel that he feels that he can't open up to me like he does with DH and my sister. I've talked with him about feeling free to tell me anything, but he doesn't.

Any ideas to get him to open up?

sokkamum

Asked by sokkamum at 12:18 PM on Jun. 28, 2010 in Tweens (9-12)

• I agree with the previous poster, I would drive taking him for a drive and talking. Boys/Men tend to do better without eye contact (I can't remember what my counselor said about that - but definitely do better that way). I'd probably start off asking him about his day, then maybe start with some silly questions and answer them yourself too, like what animal would you be if you could, or what you do with a $1000, stuff like that, start slow if he doesn't really talk now then you can bring up more things like girlfriends or thoughts of girls, and school and what he wants to be when he grows up, and feelings and goals. I've found the more I took my boys out for drives and just talked about nothing, the open more at home now and the eye contact isn't a big thing unless its a serious conversation - but even then they've gotten better. Just telling them doesn't help - you have to show them you mean it.
    blessedwboysx3

Answer by blessedwboysx3 at 2:50 PM on Jun. 28, 2010

• He may just not... but I always found that car rides do wonders for opening up teenagers. But of course no i-pods or anythig else to distract them. Can't be forced though. My oldest was never a talker, with anyone... but when he went with me on long car rides we would just start talking. I think it may have had something to do with lack of eye contact and being put on the spot. He is 21 now and sometimes will just call to talk!
    SandraLee242

Answer by SandraLee242 at 12:24 PM on Jun. 28, 2010