Why do mothers expect their infants to profrom like a robot?

As though they can be programmed to sleep, eat, and play on a schedule- Never cry, need to be held, ask for attention, or be an inconvenience?

You are raising a HUMAN BEING, not programming a computer.

Motherhood isn't supposed to revolve around YOU, or what YOU are inconvenienced by.

ObbyDobbie

Asked by ObbyDobbie at 12:23 PM on Jun. 28, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Why do some people expect new mothers to know everything there is to know about babies and never ask questions or be confused or overwhelmed?

Because when people are asking questions like, Why won't my 1-month old stop crying? The only time he/she stops is when I hold him/her!! Why isn't my baby sleeping? Is it okay to let my baby CIO at 2 months old? Will giving rice cereal in my baby's bottle make her sleep longer?

These questions don't come off as being overwhelmed or confused - these are questions that say to the rest of us that the baby is getting in the way of sleep, going out, or being alone.

If someone is having a baby & has no prior experience with children, they should be smart enough to take a parenting class or some sort of baby how-to.
    Wheepingchree

Answer by Wheepingchree at 1:30 PM on Jun. 28, 2010

• I completely understand where you are going. I often wonder the same thing. Like when they say, "Uhg, my one month old won't sleep all night." Duh, that's what they do.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 12:30 PM on Jun. 28, 2010

• I never expected my child to be programmed and was always ready for the unexpected but I did have my LO's on a routine. Not a schedule. A routine. they ate played and slept. I always knew what they needed based on our routine. they were used to it and also knew what to expect. Yeah things happened but for the most part it really made things easier on everyone. I did what I felt was right for us and it worked for us.
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 12:30 PM on Jun. 28, 2010

• Unfortunately the vast majority of people have 0 experience with babies growing up other than tv donna reed babies. And a lot of the books out there lie.

It is a sad thing that you can go 20, 30, 40 years without having experienced a real baby. I am lucky. I was a teen when my mother had my siblings. I learned from experience and from her mistakes in trying to change behavior that was perfectly normal.
    amileegirl

Answer by amileegirl at 12:34 PM on Jun. 28, 2010

• I think some women just feel the need to control every aspect of their lives.
    shanlaree

Answer by shanlaree at 12:24 PM on Jun. 28, 2010

• I think a lot of parents need to ask themselves: Am I managing an inconvenience, or am I raising a human being?
    maggiemom2000

Answer by maggiemom2000 at 12:26 PM on Jun. 28, 2010

• I don't know anyone like that but if there are moms like that, I'm sure its because they are just scheduled type of people. I followed my childrens cues on when they are sleepy and its become routine in that way. I think many human bodies kinda schedule themselves for eating and sleeping habits.
    kimberlyinberea

Answer by kimberlyinberea at 12:28 PM on Jun. 28, 2010

• They aren't thinking about the baby, they are thinking about their own "success" as a parent.
    lovinangels

Answer by lovinangels at 12:26 PM on Jun. 28, 2010

• Why do some women expect some mothers to act like a robot?..
    mommy16love

Answer by mommy16love at 12:26 PM on Jun. 28, 2010

• I think it stems from their own insecurities--as if their child's behavior is a reflection on their parenting skills. I also think too many moms are trying WAY too hard to follow the advice of parenting books and not listening or following their own natural instincts.

We ALL have our own style of parenting--and it works for us! As long as we're providing safe, loving, enriching homes and we're not being neglectful, abusive, or inattentive to our childrens needs and wants, then WHO is to say that--breastfeeding V formula feeding; vaxing V non-vaxing; vegetarian V meat diets; CIO V attachment parenting; religion V no religion; straight parents V homosexual parents; or going it alone V being part of a "commune" are the ONLY ways to be a good parent?

I can only control MY little corner of the world, and in the end, the MAJORITY of children will manage just fine! And they'll likely rebel against our choices for them anyway!
    LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 12:38 PM on Jun. 28, 2010