3 yo DS won't fall asleep without me

He'll sleep in his big boy bed all night, but I have to move him there after he falls asleep or lay down with him for a while.

Any ideas to get him to fall asleep in his own bed by himself?

sokkamum

Asked by sokkamum at 12:24 PM on Jun. 28, 2010 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• At this point, I'd start by making minor modifications and progress in steps until you've got him capable of self soothing to sleep in his own bed. First, if you don't already have one, establish a solid a bed time routine - we've always done bath/shower, PJs, teeth, stories, sleep. Now change nothing but WHERE you start the night. Instead of starting him on the couch or the recliner or your bed, etc, start in his bed. You'll stay with him but only if he's in his bed. Give that a few days. Then move out of his bed. Sit next to him on the floor or a chair near his bed. Sing, rub his back - but don't hold him and again, he has to be in his bed. Next move farther away so you're several feet form his bed. Reassure him, sing, hum....but no touching. After that, move to the hall where you can verbally reassure him but you're not IN the room with him. Eventually you'll be putting him to bed awake and walking out without issue.
    ldmrmom

Answer by ldmrmom at 1:30 PM on Jun. 28, 2010

• With my son I started off laying next to him and then moved to sitting on the bed, sitting on the floor beside the bed, a couple of feet away from the bed, to eventually sitting in the hall and reading a book while he fell asleep and finally to the living room. I think it took about a month to do it but it worked.
    JamieLK

Answer by JamieLK at 12:29 PM on Jun. 28, 2010

• is this a new thing or has this always been his habit?
    MommyToEthan

Answer by MommyToEthan at 12:25 PM on Jun. 28, 2010

• This has alwys been his habit, which we've always tried to break.
    sokkamum

Comment by sokkamum (original poster) at 12:27 PM on Jun. 28, 2010

• what Jamie said - work slowly out of the room. It will take some time since this is a habit now but I am sure he will grow out of it soon.
    Mommy_0f_many

Answer by Mommy_0f_many at 1:31 PM on Jun. 28, 2010

• Oh, also, if he doesn't already have one, let him pick out a comfort item - maybe a favorite stuffed toy, a blanket, a certain pillow. something he can make part of his bed time routine. My DS still likes to have a certain flannel quilt his grandmother made him near by. He's going to be 8 later this week. He won't tell his friends (it's a baby blanket with rubber ducks on it.) BUT he's smitten with the thing. RIght now he lays it across his pillow and sleeps with it under his head. My DD rotates favorite stuffed toys. She also has started asking for soft music on her CD player. We set the sleep timer and let her drift off to her songs.
    ldmrmom

Answer by ldmrmom at 1:32 PM on Jun. 28, 2010