Would you let your 17 yr old spend the night at his 18 yr olds own apartment?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:31 PM on Jun. 28, 2010 in Teens (13-17)

• No. Nothing but trouble will come of it.
    shanlaree

Answer by shanlaree at 12:32 PM on Jun. 28, 2010

• 18 year old who? I think you left out a crucial detail :D
    SleepingBeautee

Answer by SleepingBeautee at 12:32 PM on Jun. 28, 2010

• His 18 year old what? Friend, cousin, boyfriend, brother? It really depends on who it is to him.
    BlainesMommy09

Answer by BlainesMommy09 at 12:33 PM on Jun. 28, 2010

• Well I guess he is being honest and telling you,, is this his brother? I think if he is out of high school and off to college, he is going to be spending alot of time where you won't know,, I think I would as long as it is close and he has been the kind of kid that stays out of trouble,,,,Yikes they grow up so fast!!
    kimigogo

Answer by kimigogo at 12:33 PM on Jun. 28, 2010

• How close is the 17 year old to being 18? Is his out of high school? If he's almost 18 there's almost no point in enforcing rules that won't apply very soon. Unless you think there are going to be illegal activites at this apartment that might get him into trouble. But if you trust him I don't think there would be a problem.
    jessicarae787

Answer by jessicarae787 at 12:34 PM on Jun. 28, 2010

• 2 words HELL NO...the only thing that could happen is a baby..the next thing you know she'll have a profile on THIS WEBSITE lol
    Lovin_mybaby5

Answer by Lovin_mybaby5 at 12:36 PM on Jun. 28, 2010

• It depends on the child. I let my 16 yo drive 3 hours and stay in his brother's dorm room at Indiana University. He was responsible and a good driver. He also looked 20. The brothers were really missing each other. We home schooled and it's common for teens to have young adult level maturity when they are around 16. I had 3 sons and I always told them that I didn't want them doing anything that could end up involving the police or the ER.

I would have never let my oldest son do it and my youngest son didn't even have a drivers license until he was 20. We never did fair. I made decisions based on what I knew about each child.

Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 12:37 PM on Jun. 28, 2010

• It would depend. If he's staying the night with a gf then no I wouldn't allow it. If he's visiting a sibling or family member or going somewhere with friends it would depend on the 17yo and on the person they were visitng. I allowed my sons to go to Cedar Point for the weekend in 2008 when they were almost 18 and 16 1/2 w/a group of friends and then last year I let my youngest son go again for a weekend w/a group of friends, he was 17 1/2. I also allowed him to go last Oct. to Cedar Point and he stayed the night then as well, he and his older (19) brother went with friends. It's a 2 hour drive from there to here so we felt better having them stay over night that to drive home at 11-12 at night. I knew that they wouldn't get in to trouble, they are all a level headed grroup of people. They had a lot of fun and made some great memories.
    tracylynnr67

Answer by tracylynnr67 at 1:54 PM on Jun. 28, 2010

• No way! That's just asking for trouble. I know you can't keep them in your sight 24/7 at that age (I have a 17year old) but you can curb some of it and if he stays there you have no idea what will be going on.
    Cindy18

Answer by Cindy18 at 3:54 PM on Jun. 28, 2010

• My answer would be HELL NO you are not an adult yet.
    Luv_my_hubby

Answer by Luv_my_hubby at 4:25 PM on Jun. 28, 2010