being friends with someone who is divorced out of the family?

so my husband's brother's wife ( a sister in law), got a divorce from his brother and she's pretty much just moved on. She dropped everybody from this family from talking to her and from facebook. I had to ask her advice on something one day since i had her phone number and we get along, we never really had any fights or differences but my kids were also a big part of her life. She wanted to see me and my husband and our youngest and she even re-added me to facebook which apparently is causing the brother some problems but i dont think he has moved on, although she has.

the brother never cared about anyone else in the family like thier feelings or even respected them, he cares more about himself then others. i wouldnt not be her friend because of him so thats why i point that out.

have you ever been in this sitation?

americansugar80

Asked by americansugar80 at 12:37 PM on Jun. 28, 2010 in Just for Fun

• I'm still really good friends with my ex-sister in law, regardless of what my brother thinks. She's the mother of my nephew and has been a huge part of my life. She is still invited to family functions and is really good friends with lots of members of the family still. I just think it's a ridiculous notion that you can just cut someone out of your life who's been a part of it for so long.
    WendyJR

Answer by WendyJR at 1:17 PM on Jun. 28, 2010

• In a way, I have. My brother broke up with his fiance and he totally did her wrong. Although I love my brother very much...Ive befriended his ex and I invite her over once in awhile and she brings the baby (my beautiful neice! ) and she stays and we chat for a few hours. Were actually closer now than we were when they were together.
    kimberlyinberea

Answer by kimberlyinberea at 12:40 PM on Jun. 28, 2010

• Yes I am still friends with my exhusbands family. We have a child together so I think if the children are still family then the adults should try to get along. I have gone to my ex in laws house and spent 4 nights there while they visited with my dd. I talk to my ex sister in law alot.
    ria7

Answer by ria7 at 12:41 PM on Jun. 28, 2010

• well, i was on the other side. lol. i was the one that got divorced, and it was my ex husbands family. they didn't know that he was tellingm e that i could have no contact with any of his family... that they didn't want me around, and that they were looking at my facebook for anythingg they could use against me... luckily, i stayed friends with his sister, and they now know what he was saying. they don't talk to him anymore, but not because of me.
    gracefulsky

Answer by gracefulsky at 12:43 PM on Jun. 28, 2010

• I'm still good friends with my brother's ex-wife. So I really don't see what the big deal is. Just don't invite her to any family functions or anything if your BIL isn't comfortable with being around her.
    BlainesMommy09

Answer by BlainesMommy09 at 12:46 PM on Jun. 28, 2010

• Be friends with who YOU want to be friends with. You dont have to talk about the ex with your family or vice versa....just be friends.
    AndysQueen

Answer by AndysQueen at 12:53 PM on Jun. 28, 2010

• I have been in this position before. Five years ago my cousin and her husband divorced. My cousin insisted that I "take her side" and not only stop talking to her ex but to also join her in bad-mouthing him for hours on end. I told her that the only divorce I'd ever take sides in would be my own. I was not going to stop being friends with someone whose company I genuinely enjoyed just because he happened to be divorcing a member of my family. This didn't sit well with most of my family but I wasn't going to let my family decide who I could and couldn't be friends with.

My cousin has since moved on and is in a very happy relationship now. We have recently begun talking again.
    sillyt

Answer by sillyt at 2:27 PM on Jun. 28, 2010