IF, (big IF) we (people of earth) had the capability to economically mine the resources of other planets or moons, should we?

mancosmomma

Asked by mancosmomma at 12:43 PM on Jun. 28, 2010 in Politics & Current Events

• If Humans are going to explore the idea, the U.S. needs to be first in line. Hopefully the jobs will be NON UNION
    jewjewbee

Answer by jewjewbee at 12:58 PM on Jun. 28, 2010

• IDK...that's scary stuff
    MommyH2

Answer by MommyH2 at 12:44 PM on Jun. 28, 2010

• Hmmm.... I guess if we could do so with NO pollution and as long as there was NO life on that planet. We wouldn't want someone taking nails out of our houses cause they ran out of nails for theirs. Same thing even if the foreign life isn't similar to ours. I was watching avatar (the blue people movie) a while ago and I can totally see something like that happening later. We'll screw our planet and eventually try to take from another.
    jus1jess

Answer by jus1jess at 12:55 PM on Jun. 28, 2010

• I wouldn't have a problem with it IF the other planet was uninhabited.
    Bezu

Answer by Bezu at 12:56 PM on Jun. 28, 2010

• It would depend, there would need to be much expolration so we don't screw with anything that would mess up the delicate  balance....

sweet-a-kins

Answer by sweet-a-kins at 1:03 PM on Jun. 28, 2010

• Like in Independence Day? Are there people (beings) on those planets using the resources? If not, maybe.

jesse123456

Answer by jesse123456 at 3:42 PM on Jun. 28, 2010

• Depends. We don't want any weird ass Alien-esque tragedies on our hands.
    caitxrawks

Answer by caitxrawks at 1:14 PM on Jun. 28, 2010

• I am not sure we SHOULD, but I know we are. NASA has been looking for water on the moon for a reason :)
    science_spot

Answer by science_spot at 1:16 PM on Jun. 28, 2010

• It's one thing to look for water so that the possibility of a future settlement could be explored; but - and I'm not a geologist so IDK how crazy this sounds but - mining things is removing a lot of mass...if we were talking about a small satellite object could we potentially throw off it's balance/orbit?

And capability aside; what about the finances of getting the equipment there and getting the mined materials back here? I would think the cost would be so exorbitant it wouldn't be a viable option for many generations to come...
    beachmamaof2

Answer by beachmamaof2 at 1:56 PM on Jun. 28, 2010

• No.
    wildflowers25

Answer by wildflowers25 at 2:47 PM on Jun. 28, 2010