Is there a trick to shaping tortillas?

Mine always come out so funny looking. I try to roll everything out evenly but they never come out nice and round.

jus1jess

Asked by jus1jess at 12:48 PM on Jun. 28, 2010 in Food & Drink

• I roll mine, then use a large bowl, to cut around the edges and make a perfect circle,,,I had the same problem!
    kimigogo

Answer by kimigogo at 12:51 PM on Jun. 28, 2010

• like my father used to say

it still tastes the same

if you continue to make them odd shaped, it may became a family story told years from now....remember moms tortillas, yeah and we had a contest for the funniest looking one

darn, now i am hungry for mexican !
    fiatpax

Answer by fiatpax at 12:51 PM on Jun. 28, 2010

• a tortilla press! I always just make a ball and squish it between two plate then cut the edges.
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 12:52 PM on Jun. 28, 2010

• use saran wrap to cover the bottom of two FLAT plates, or pie plates, roll the dough into a ball, and press it between the plates. Nice and round.
    You could also get a tortilla press for about $10. But the plates do exactly the same thing.
    ObbyDobbie

Answer by ObbyDobbie at 12:56 PM on Jun. 28, 2010

• Yes a tortilla press! Use saran wrap inbetween to pick the thin ones up.
    3gigglemonsters

Answer by 3gigglemonsters at 12:57 PM on Jun. 28, 2010

• LOL thanks :) I only care when I'm making them for tacos and they need to hold in lots of food.
    jus1jess

Comment by jus1jess (original poster) at 12:57 PM on Jun. 28, 2010

• When rolling dough into a round shape you need to rotate. It takes some practice. French rolling pins are helpful for rolling dough into a round shape.
    DawnA72

Answer by DawnA72 at 9:16 PM on Jun. 28, 2010