when do u stop formula and start regular bottles of juice and stuff?

samantha21385

Asked by samantha21385 at 12:57 PM on Jun. 28, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Not until at least a year old. Then, they need water in a cup and hardly any milk or juice.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 1:01 PM on Jun. 28, 2010

• With my son, I didn't start him on regular milk until he was at least a year old. They tell you not to give your little one milk before then anyway. I think I started giving him juice around 6 or 7 months, but it was really watered down with only a little juice for some flavor. They don't want you to give your LO juice, but my son wouldn't take just water.
    ktlyn79s

Answer by ktlyn79s at 1:03 PM on Jun. 28, 2010

• At 12 mo you stop bottles and formula. Toddlers don't need to drink milk or juice, they should drink only water. If you decide to give them juice the max they should have is 4 oz a day in an open cup according to the American Academy of Pediatrics. Toddlers only need 2 servings of milk products. They like so many things with milk in them that if they drink milk it is easy for them to get too much milk. Drinking milk can cause constipation, obesity, anemia, digestive upset, and other problems. Milk consuption is bad for the environment (all the milk cows).

Up to 12 mo formula should be a main source of nutrition and babies should get about 32 oz. At 12 mo toddlers can eat regular food. Formula was invented so babies could survive until they could eat regular food.

Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 1:03 PM on Jun. 28, 2010

• Babies don't need juice, really ever. It is full of sugar and empty calories
    Mena929

Answer by Mena929 at 1:07 PM on Jun. 28, 2010

• We stopped formula at one year and started to give whole milk. I started both my kids on juice at about six months. I will say you should talk to your child's doctor about this but I strongly urge not to just give water. It has no real nutirional value and there is no reason whatsoever for a very young child to just drink water.
    wildflowers25

Answer by wildflowers25 at 1:08 PM on Jun. 28, 2010

• We didn't start our boys on milk till they were 12 months. I gave them watered down juice around 8 months or so. Just apple or grape. no orange juice or combo juices.

Little ones do still need milk after they turn 12 months. They should be drinking whole milk, they need the fats to help with their development (especially the brain).
    LorisChar

Answer by LorisChar at 1:16 PM on Jun. 28, 2010

• I was told it was one year. I would double check with your pediatrician since some kids develop differently.
    JoeysMom2

Answer by JoeysMom2 at 1:25 PM on Jun. 28, 2010

• LorisChar, thank you. I am so sick of seeing no milk is needed. My doctor and nutritionist gave me the oddest look when I asked them. They said the same thing, fats in milk help with brain development and it can be detrimental if a child does not get those as well as the vitamins. Not to mention the risk of osteoporosis later in life. Obesity isn't caused by milk, it is caused by unhealthy eating, uncontrolled portions and sometimes medical issues.
    carmadsmom

Answer by carmadsmom at 1:30 PM on Jun. 28, 2010

• Babies need to have breastmilk and/or formula until they are 1 year old. After that, you can wean from the bottle and from formula to whole milk. Juice is not needed, but it can be given starting at around six month of age. It is recomended to give juice from a cup, not the bottle, and to give no more than 4oz. of juice per day by the AAP.
    sarahmae3

Answer by sarahmae3 at 1:34 PM on Jun. 28, 2010

• You stop formula, and give milk at 12 months. Juices should be given IN A CUP, not a bottle. You can start watered down juice around 6 months, but preferably later, and again, in a cup.
    milfalicious08

Answer by milfalicious08 at 2:18 PM on Jun. 28, 2010