Homemade Playdough?

Does anyone have a recipe that comes out really smooth? I made a recipe and followed the instructions, but it came out grainy because of the salt. Anyone have a smooth recipe?

CAGirl4

Asked by CAGirl4 at 1:00 PM on Jun. 28, 2010 in Hobbies & Crafts

• Here is my favorite of all time Cooked Playdough Recipe
    1 cup flour
    1/2 cup salt
    2 tsp.cream of tartar
    1 cup water
    1 Tbsp. oil
    cake decorating dye-concentrated paste any color

I mix the whole works together and add the color past last
    I use the color paste instead of food coloring because the color is more intense

I cook on a medium high heat until it forms a ball, stirring constantly so you get a really good work out.
    Stop cooking when it gets to the consistency you like and it forms a ball as you stir it.

It is now hot! I dump it on the counter and knead it and turn it so it cools. Do not put it in a plastic storage bag until it completely cools or it will form condensation and be wet. Yuck.

This is smooth and creamy and the kids just love it.

For some fun add an envelop of unsweetened Kool Aide. It smells great!
    Lifes-A-Dance

Answer by Lifes-A-Dance at 3:43 PM on Jun. 29, 2010

• Prep Time: 20 minutes
    Yield: Makes about 2 1/2 cups nonedible dough
    Ingredients

* 1/2 to 3/4 cup warm water, divided
    * 1 teaspoon white vinegar
    * 2 cups all-purpose flour
    * 1 cup salt
    * Food coloring paste

Preparation

1. Stir together 1/2 cup warm water and 1 tsp. vinegar.

2. Combine flour and salt in a large bowl. Slowly stir in water mixture with a wooden spoon until a stiff dough forms, adding up to 1/4 cup more water, if necessary. Knead until smooth and workable. Divide dough into portions, and add desired amount of food coloring paste. Shape dough portions into blocks. Store in refrigerator in a zip-top plastic bag.
    aggiewife

Answer by aggiewife at 1:01 PM on Jun. 28, 2010

• You can do a google search for edible playdough - it's made with peanut butter, nonfat milk, and honey and you don't have to worry if the kids stick some in their mouth, it's actually yummy! (we used to play with it, with clean hands of course, and then roll it into little balls and roll them in sesame seeds). There is also a type of playdough that you can make with koolaid - I'm sure you can google it, but now that my kids are older I haven't made it in years!

Answer by missanc at 1:07 PM on Jun. 28, 2010

• no, but I am looking for a recipe as well
    mommy5409

Answer by mommy5409 at 1:01 PM on Jun. 28, 2010

• Aggiewife... does it get sticky over time? All the recipes I have seen use cream of tarter. I tried one with out it once and it was a horrible sticky mess.
    SleepingBeautee

Answer by SleepingBeautee at 1:04 PM on Jun. 28, 2010

• My edible play dough recipe is similar to one mentioned above.
    1 cup peanut butter
    1 cup honey
    1 cup powdered milk
    1 cup oatmeal.

This recipe is NOT for children under 12 months old because of the honey!

Mix the ingredients. You can omit the oatmeal if you want but it adds texture.

Another idea is for infants to play in pudding or jello. They love the squishiness.
    Lifes-A-Dance

Answer by Lifes-A-Dance at 3:48 PM on Jun. 29, 2010

• Interesting - I will check back to see if anyone has anything........I have never tried to make my own yet.
    Mommy_0f_many

Answer by Mommy_0f_many at 1:02 PM on Jun. 28, 2010

• Oh I forgot to add that I make a double recipe each time for the cooked playdough
    Lifes-A-Dance

Answer by Lifes-A-Dance at 3:46 PM on Jun. 29, 2010