Question about traveling for a birth?

I am a 24 y/0 healthy female, I am not pregnant yet, but we are thinking about it. :) I really want to have a natural birth, but there is not a way to do that where I live. I would have to travel about an hour.......I really haven't looked into it much, but I am looking for some feedback first. I am just wondering if anyone out there has had the same dilemma as I, if you had any concerns and/or comments. Thanks!!

jayblu

Asked by jayblu at 1:02 PM on Jun. 28, 2010 in Pregnancy

• I traveled an hour and a half to go to my appointments and to give birth. It was no big issue. And I went intl labor at 12pm, started driving at 1:30. had him at 7:01with my doctor.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 1:04 PM on Jun. 28, 2010

• When you mean natural, do you mean at home, with a midwife present? The hospital will allow you to have a natural birth (no drugs) if that is what you wish, I honestly wouldn't travel an hour away from medical care, in case something goes wrong,, ask your doctor about doulas or midwives in your area!
    kimigogo

Answer by kimigogo at 1:04 PM on Jun. 28, 2010

• why would you have to travel far for a natural birth? Do they force you to have an epidural at the hospital close to you?
    Mommy_0f_many

Answer by Mommy_0f_many at 1:04 PM on Jun. 28, 2010

• I lives almost an hour from the birth center I used with my 3rd child, and 45 from the hospital my 2nd ds was birthed @ (the only one in the state that staffed CNMs. No biggie. I labored @ home with ALL 3 of mine, only went in to squat and push. No drugs, no monitors, no IVs.
    ObbyDobbie

Answer by ObbyDobbie at 1:09 PM on Jun. 28, 2010

• my hospital and dr office was about 45-50 minutes away with my first. it wasnt that big of a deal.
    jennifer588

Answer by jennifer588 at 1:10 PM on Jun. 28, 2010

• hi. i chose a hospital an hour away because where i live the hospitals aren't very natural-birth-friendly. i wanted a home birth but we couldn't do it financially. i was somewhat worried about it the distance since this was my 2nd child.

i can't exactly tell you how it worked out because i was 3 hours away from the hospital when i went into labor early! i went to the hospital there and then was transferred to another hospital an hour from there that had a NICU because i was only 33 weeks.

i did do some research on what to do if your baby is born in the car because of the distance and it being my 2nd.
    Stefanie83

Answer by Stefanie83 at 1:23 PM on Jun. 28, 2010

• i just wanted to add from others comments, many hospital are not supportive of natural birth. that doesn't mean they force you to ahve an epidural but they might give you a really difficult time if you decline an IV, constant monitoring, etc. some hospitals all but force you to stay in bed which is not a natural (or comfortable) way to labor & birth. jmho
    Stefanie83

Answer by Stefanie83 at 1:27 PM on Jun. 28, 2010