Would you move away from your kids to better your career and leave them with the other parent?

I was just wondering if you would leave your child with the other parent to better your career. Isn't parenting about sacrifice How come men do this so easily and do not even blink? That is my exs excuse to why he does not live in the same state as me so he can see his daughter more. I am just trying to understand because I have put my career on the back burner for my children. Because I want to see them grow up and because I can get a decent paying job without it being my dream job. Anyone get this? Or do you think like I do that it is just another excuse. There are security jobs and police jobs in Ohio. I think it is a cope out! Opinions?

tinaandavasmom

Asked by tinaandavasmom at 1:03 PM on Jun. 28, 2010 in General Parenting

• You can't make him love your child the way you want him to. I had to accept that with my children's father. He didn't move far away but he is unable to form emotional relationships. I let them know in ways that they could understand that it was just the way he was and it wasn't them. I loved them enough to make up for it.

I was a medical lab technologist before kids. I loved working and thought I would be a working mom. I loved my baby and breastfeeding more. I took so much time off work that I can't get a job as a med tech now even though my certification is still good. There are no refresher courses. I would be making about what a RN makes if I could work. I call my oldest the million dollar kid. That's how much he cost in lost wages. I home schooled him so that is up to age 18. I have two more sons.

Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 1:13 PM on Jun. 28, 2010

• No
    Mommy_0f_many

Answer by Mommy_0f_many at 1:05 PM on Jun. 28, 2010

• not in a million years! nothing could drag me from being a SAHM! why have kids if you want someone else to raise them!
    aggiewife

Answer by aggiewife at 1:05 PM on Jun. 28, 2010

• I never could
    June_Mama09

Answer by June_Mama09 at 1:06 PM on Jun. 28, 2010

• OMG, no way!!! Never. There is nothing that could ever make me choose to be away from my son!
    LovingSAHMommy

Answer by LovingSAHMommy at 1:06 PM on Jun. 28, 2010

• UGG, men! Yes it is a cop out, and IDK why men seem to be able to do this better than women1
    kimigogo

Answer by kimigogo at 1:08 PM on Jun. 28, 2010

• Nope. My bio-dad did after he and mum got divorced when I was a baby though and we lost contact with him rather quickly. I didn't meet him until I was 21.
    kuriequinn

Answer by kuriequinn at 1:08 PM on Jun. 28, 2010

• I spent a lot of time away from my kids when I was in the military and vowed to never do that again to them. I lost a lot of time and for what?
    Izsarejman

Answer by Izsarejman at 1:10 PM on Jun. 28, 2010

• I would not, but I can see WHY a parent would, especially a father. Mothers are nurturers by nature. We've all heard that. Sometimes you have to do what you have to do, even if it is sacrificing family time. I know plenty of families who have a parent with a difficult job - cops, truck drivers, anything in the military. The list goes on.
    mickstinator

Answer by mickstinator at 1:11 PM on Jun. 28, 2010

• It would really depend on the offer i guess. If i was offered a job that paid me a million or more a year, i might move away & leave DD with her dad. Anyway, if i made that much, i could fly in every weekend & still see DD a lot. With a the right salary, i could really provide my DD with a lot more. And in the long run, it might be more helpful to everyone in the family in i took the million dollar job. But, it would have to be something to that extreme that would in the end, help better my child's life. Otherwise, i would never ever move to another state.

samurai_chica

Answer by samurai_chica at 1:12 PM on Jun. 28, 2010