Do you know anyone who suffers from Borderline Personality Disorder? The diagnosis is on the rise, any opinions about why that is?

According to Time magazine:

Borderlines are the patients psychologists fear most. As many as 75% hurt themselves, and approximately 10% commit suicide — an extraordinarily high suicide rate (by comparison, the suicide rate for mood disorders is about 6%). Borderline patients seem to have no internal governor; they are capable of deep love and profound rage almost simultaneously. They are powerfully connected to the people close to them and terrified by the possibility of losing them — yet attack those people so unexpectedly that they often ensure the very abandonment they fear. When they want to hold, they claw instead. Many therapists have no clue how to treat borderlines. And yet diagnosis of the condition appears to be on the rise.

Read more: http://www.time.com/time/magazine/article/0,9171,1870491,00.html#ixzz0sAVyIS3a

mancosmomma

Asked by mancosmomma at 1:09 PM on Jun. 28, 2010 in Politics & Current Events

• Mancos, I think everyone has an ideaas to why there would be an increase in the number of diagnoses, it is afterall only the counted number of diagnoses we can use for study. When it comes to real cases, it gets a little gray. Some may have a problem similar but not actually this or that and some may have something totally not related to what a non-skilled HCP is labeling. I feel there has been such a push from society,  to put a label on something or to fix something that office visits are being made, diagnoses being sent in to Ins.Companies and Rx's being given out at record proportions.

Isn't the question at hand " Is there an increase in actual cases?", That  would be where the problem lies IMO. Is there just as many crazy people as always? Or is there truly an increase in cases?

jewjewbee

Answer by jewjewbee at 1:41 PM on Jun. 28, 2010

• The same reasons cancer and other diseases are on the rise. I believe it is related to environmental and checicals in our food

sweet-a-kins

Answer by sweet-a-kins at 1:14 PM on Jun. 28, 2010

• http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/pages/frontline/medicatedchild/view/

THIS is the reason why the dignoses are on the rise, not necessarily an increase in the number of cases.

jewjewbee

Answer by jewjewbee at 1:17 PM on Jun. 28, 2010

• My mother has been diagnosed with BPD. Of course, she refuses to take any medication or see a psychologist about it--because "what the Hell do doctor's know anyway...I don;t have any problems!!!" (LOL...her words!)

I was concerned this could be an inherited trait--even though I always felt rational and in control of my feelings, and hadn't been known to display extreme mood swings, I was worried that my boys, both having autism, might have inherited a latent trait/marker from me, passed down from my mother), so I volunteered for a multi-day comprehensive psychological evaluation.

Considering I have a lot on my plate, and I get the blues from time to time--like everyone else, I thankfully, do not have any chronic mental health issues. :o)
    LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 2:36 PM on Jun. 28, 2010

• THIS is the reason why the dignoses are on the rise, not necessarily an increase in the number of cases.

***
    JUST LIKE AUTISM!!! It's not the number of cases, it's the ability to comprehensively identify and diagnose at younger ages. I can think of at least a dozen people (off the top of my head) that I went to school with, who today, would have EASILY been diagnosed with severe ADHD and/or autism (or related disorders)!

Unfortunately for them, they were considered "slow," and not expected to accomplish much in life--and not surprisingly, they didn't accomplish much in terms of their careers or independence! And, I'll bet most of them are as smart as any ivy league college educated person!
    LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 2:41 PM on Jun. 28, 2010

• You will get more answers when anon ability is returned. Many people feel stigmatized by being called "crazy".

***
    The ability to post anon will only be returned when someone has earned the right by acquiring the established number of credits. Did you know that (currently) even if you post an anon question, as soon as someone responds to it, that person can check their "transcript" and see who the anon is/was?

LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 2:43 PM on Jun. 28, 2010

• **diagnoses......I can't spell...teehee
    jewjewbee

Answer by jewjewbee at 1:18 PM on Jun. 28, 2010

• Thanks Jewjew. I know someone who says they were diagnosed with this.
    mancosmomma

Comment by mancosmomma (original poster) at 1:27 PM on Jun. 28, 2010

• I can't spell at all today.....sorry
    jewjewbee

Answer by jewjewbee at 1:42 PM on Jun. 28, 2010

• So true, Jewjew. (And not about the spelling, heehee).
    mancosmomma

Comment by mancosmomma (original poster) at 1:44 PM on Jun. 28, 2010