How old is too old to buy a new swingset for a kid?

I don't have a house yet, but I am planning on buying one within the next 3 years. When I do, I want to buy a swingset for my kids...in 3 years, my oldest will be 8, and I already feel guilty that he doesn't have one. It's kind of a big deal to me. How many years of use will he get out of it, if I get it at that age? He has a younger sister who will be 6 then, but I don't think we're having anymore kids. It just seems like so many people get their swingsets when their kids are super young, but I don't know how long they play on them.

sojourner.

Asked by sojourner. at 1:14 PM on Jun. 28, 2010 in Just for Fun

• It depends on the quality of the swing set. Some have a capacity of 100lbs, but if you buy one of the really nice ones ($1500 and over)....he could use it for as long as he wanted.
    BridgetC140

Answer by BridgetC140 at 1:15 PM on Jun. 28, 2010

• My dd is 8 and she still uses ours. If he likes to have friends over, they can use it as well. Do you have neices and nephews yet?
    3gigglemonsters

Answer by 3gigglemonsters at 1:15 PM on Jun. 28, 2010

• I am 34 and I just got my first swingset and love it! :o)
    Mommy_0f_many

Answer by Mommy_0f_many at 1:17 PM on Jun. 28, 2010

• I don't think that's too old at all! I plan on buying a swingset this Christmas for my kids and they will be almost 3 and 3 months. I think I'm getting it a bit early. ; )

I think an 8 year old will get a lot of use out of it, at least 3 or so more years! And with a 6 year old behind him, it'll most likely be a very appreciated investment.
    mickstinator

Answer by mickstinator at 1:20 PM on Jun. 28, 2010

• Your kids will probably use them until they're 11-12, depending on the size of the swingset.
    Scuba

Answer by Scuba at 1:35 PM on Jun. 28, 2010

• well to be honest my youngest is 7 1/2 and he's almost to big for it and it's a larger one. as for the 3 yr old she would probably only use it a yr. by then after that they get to old for it.
    chica679

Answer by chica679 at 3:46 PM on Jun. 28, 2010