Higher Power

How do people believe in a Higher Power and don't believe in God? God is a high as you can go their nobody above him?

mamaofficer

Asked by mamaofficer at 1:19 PM on Jun. 28, 2010 in Religion & Beliefs

• Bwaahhhaaahahahahaha!!!

You're serious?

I don't believe in ANY form of higher power... but the fact is simple, many people believe in different forms of spiritual forces at work in the cosmos.. that can be as simple as positive energy being the driving force. ie "Higher Power".

How do you NOT get that concept?
    ObbyDobbie

Answer by ObbyDobbie at 1:23 PM on Jun. 28, 2010

• I believe in MANY gods & goddesses and I do believe they have something above them. For me I call this the "Great God & Goddess" they are like parents to the Gods & Grandparents to creation... But I could easily call it a "Higher Power"

I can more than understand the belief in a Higher-power without God... It's more of an idea of a higher spirit, rather than some interested party like a God.

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 1:25 PM on Jun. 28, 2010

• How do you not get it that's the question.
    mamaofficer

Comment by mamaofficer (original poster) at 1:25 PM on Jun. 28, 2010

• The people who say this , IMO , just don't believe in a particuliar religion or Dogma that is attatched to God.

Gos is a higher Power, the name GOD, sometimes carries a history to some people that they dont believe in.

So while I believe in God, I may not believe the story of Mary, Joseph and Jesus and the Biblical teachings .....etc

sweet-a-kins

Answer by sweet-a-kins at 1:26 PM on Jun. 28, 2010

• God may or may not be the higher power. There is Zeus, Hera, Ra, Apollo, etc. There are numerous Gods and Goddesses to believe in. Your God is not more valid than anyone else's.
    purpleducky

Answer by purpleducky at 1:34 PM on Jun. 28, 2010

• I think people use the term "higher power" to differentiate between the christian god and belief of some unnamed creator or universal force. Not everyone who believes in god believes in the judeo-christian god.
    deadheadjen

Answer by deadheadjen at 2:01 PM on Jun. 28, 2010

• I don't believe in either.
    KristiS11384

Answer by KristiS11384 at 2:40 PM on Jun. 28, 2010

• i use the two terms interchangeably b/c i feel too many ppl have assumed my beliefs based off of the word "God". i also use "the Divine" sometimes to represent all the versions of God(s) & Goddesses out there b/c i want to include everyone in my question or answer.

also, when some ppl hear "God" they assume i believe in a male human sitting up in the sky, answering some prayers & not others based on belief, watching our every move so he can add up our good/bad points to see what our eternity holds...and thats just not what i believe. but when i say higher power it leaves it open to my beliefs on God and not their assumptions.
    okmanders

Answer by okmanders at 2:49 PM on Jun. 28, 2010

• didnt really answer your question...saying "higher power" to a lot of ppl means an energy or cosmic force, something greater than ourselves. maybe they carry negative meanings along w/ the word "God" and want to make it clear that the Christian God isnt their God.

some ppl just dont believe in the Christian God...whats to get?
    okmanders

Answer by okmanders at 2:53 PM on Jun. 28, 2010

• Try to understand this because it really isn't rocket science. There MANY different beliefs, MANY different religions and MANY different gods. Some people believe in ONE god and some people believe in LOTS of gods. Some people DON"T believe in god and some people just aren't sure. Some people believe in reincarnation and some people believe we return to cosmic energy.

To each his/her own. It's all good. Live and let live. You do your thing and we'll each do our own thing. Moving on..........
    beeky

Answer by beeky at 3:03 PM on Jun. 28, 2010