Breastfeeding and weight loss

I am trying to get back into shape. After 5 babies, my metabolism is in the gutter. I am almost 3 mo post partum and am using a weight loss tracker that helps me track calories eaten and burned. I am doing cardio kickboxing, yoga, or pilaties once a day, I rotate per day, plus taking my little ones for a walk... kinda they ride their bikes and I keep up with the stroller in the morning. I have been intaking aprox 800 calories more then the tracker says to because it doesn't account for breastfeeding. Am I doing this right? As far as eating, I'm eating just healthy meals.. no fad diests... lots of fresh fruits and veggies, lean meats, and whole grains.
should I add in the calories in my diet or back off on the exercising, or since I do pump as well, just gauge by my milk supply?

daughteroftruth

Asked by daughteroftruth at 1:19 PM on Jun. 28, 2010 in Health

• Are you saying you're not counting the calories you eat for breastfeeding? If that's the case, I'd go ahead and add them into the counter AND the amount of breastfeeding. I'd think it would be more accurate read-out.

As far as what you're doing, I think it sounds really good! With my first, I gained over 60 pounds and was able to lose it all quickly through portion control, frequent long walks, and breastfeeding. I really didn't do much else. In the very least, you're being healthy. Sometimes it's hard to feel like you're getting anywhere if you don't SEE the difference, but all the exercise is GOOD for you, even if the weight doesn't fall off. Good luck and great job so far! :)
    mickstinator

Answer by mickstinator at 1:23 PM on Jun. 28, 2010

• I always gauged by my milk supply. Dont push yourself too hard! The main priority here is feeding your little one.
    I always ate good meals and exercised. If my weight stalled out and I had plenty of milk i would vamp up my work outs of eat a little less. Good Luck mama and good for you!! It is hard squeezing in workouts with that many kiddos!
    tiredmomfor2

Answer by tiredmomfor2 at 1:24 PM on Jun. 28, 2010

• You only need to take in 500 additional calories for breastfeeding. Cut back on 300 calories. Sounds like you are working your butt off! Keep it going!!!
    Jademom07

Answer by Jademom07 at 1:24 PM on Jun. 28, 2010

• Watch your milk supply. I went to a nutritionist and he told me he didn't want me losing weight quickly b/c it would decrease my milk supply. However, I did lose weight and I didn't seem to be affected. I also went to weight watchers and they give you a certain amount of points you can eat per day. But, if you are breastfeeding they add extra points per day. Make sure to drink lots of water!
    MommyH2

Answer by MommyH2 at 1:25 PM on Jun. 28, 2010

• If you want to lose weight, don't eat the extra 800 calories. As long as your eating nutritious foods while breastfeeding, you don't need those extra calories. depending on your size, i would eat around 2000 calories a day. Minus he average 500 calories you use for breastfeeding, that leaves you with about 1500 your body is using to survive. I would stick to 2000 calories a day.

I made the mistake of overeating when i breastfed & i never lost any weight from breastfeeding like my friends did. I over ate because i thought it was necessary for milk production, I found out that i was wrong, that i did not need to eat extra calories. As long as you are eating very healthy, & drinking LOTS of water, you should lose weight. But, i think the 800 extra calories is a but much, I did that too & ended up gaining weight when breastfeeding.

samurai_chica

Answer by samurai_chica at 1:29 PM on Jun. 28, 2010

• If you are just breastfeeding (no pumping) on demand, eating a healthy diet (no need to count calories), and exercising then there is no reason to add extra calories for breastfeeding. That's part of why breastfeeding mothers lose more weight, because breastfeeding uses calories. If you add calories for breastfeeding it defeats the purpose. I don't know why you are pumping so I don't know if that is an issue.

We now know that exercise is not a good way to loose weight. It may get you fit but it can make you gain weight. It can make you gain muscle mass. It makes you hungry and you can end up eating more (not realizing it) than the calories burned. The DASH diet was first designed for hypertension but they have found it is a good diet for everything.

Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 1:34 PM on Jun. 28, 2010

• One more thought to add to samurai...goggle for a BMR. This will tell you how many calories your body needs to function. Once you have that, add the 500 calories and then you will have a good idea of how many calories you should have per day.
    Jademom07

Answer by Jademom07 at 1:35 PM on Jun. 28, 2010

• thanks for the tips, alot to concider... I am actually pumping extra, I work full time so like to make sure I have more then needed left with baby.. never know what could happen, and I don't ahve a scale so I'm guageing weight loss by mesurements.
    daughteroftruth

Comment by daughteroftruth (original poster) at 1:39 PM on Jun. 28, 2010

• My doctor said you only need 300 extra calories for breastfeeding. Other than that your routine sounds great.
    LucasMama08

Answer by LucasMama08 at 3:44 PM on Jun. 28, 2010

• I only had one kid and between breastfeeding and learning how to care for him the weight slid off. Unfortunately I gained it all back and more later so I really have no advice other than, you can always diet later. I know breastfeeding helps but the most important thing is to be able to do it.
    LauraMi261

Answer by LauraMi261 at 4:10 PM on Jun. 28, 2010