Why are some news stations calling this man "respected"?

Senator Robert Byrd was a Kleagle, a Klan recruiter, in his 20s and 30s.

West Virginia's Democratic Senator Robert Byrd was a recruiter for the Klan while in his 20s and 30s, rising to the title of Kleagle and Exalted Cyclops of his local chapter. After leaving the group, Byrd spoke in favor of the Klan during his early political career. Though he claimed to have left the organization in 1943, Byrd wrote a letter in 1946 to the group's Imperial Wizard stating "The Klan is needed today as never before, and I am anxious to see its rebirth here in West Virginia." Byrd defended the Klan in his 1958 U.S. Senate campaign when he was 41 years old.[9]

He was the only Senator to vote against both African American U.S. Supreme Court nominees (liberal Thurgood Marshall and conservative Clarence Thomas) and filibustered the Civil Rights Act of 1964.

In 2001, Byrd repeatedly used the phrase "white niggers" on a national television.

mancosmomma

Asked by mancosmomma at 1:25 PM on Jun. 28, 2010 in Politics & Current Events

• A few FACTS about the Democratic Party (Google them if you don;t believe me!) LOL

How many blacks know that following the Civil War, 23 blacks -- 13 of them ex-slaves -- were elected to Congress, all as Republicans?

How many blacks know that blacks founded THE Texas Republican Party In 1867? Blacks across Southern states also founded the Republican parties in their states.

In 1850, Democrats passed the Fugitive Slave Law. If accused of being a slave, even if you were from the North, and always free, you lost the right to representation, the right to trial by jury, and the right to Habeas Corpus.

The 13th Amendment, emancipating slaves, was passed with 100% of Republicans voting for it. Only 23% of Democrats voted for it.

In 1868, the 14th Amendment passed giving emancipated blacks full civil rights and federal guarantee of those rights. Every Republican voted for it, not a single Democrat voted for it!

I hav
    LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 2:12 PM on Jun. 28, 2010

• Apperently SOME politicians (Dems) are allowed to apologize for doing or saying something idiotic, where as OTHERS (repubs and anyone with a conservative lean) should be flogged and ridiculed for the entirety of their lives. It really just depends :)

momof030404

Answer by momof030404 at 1:28 PM on Jun. 28, 2010

• Arguably the most isolated state east of the Mississippi River, West Virginia has the lowest percentage of the population born in a foreign country. Most West Virginians identify themselves as being from American ancestry, though there are large numbers of people with German and Irish heritage. Health is one area where West Virginia consistently lags behind the rest of the nation, with a relatively high death rate from heart disease, diabetes, and cancer. Coal mining is still a major industry in the state, the largest exporter in the nation, although its dominance has waned in recent years. The economy of West Virginia is considered one of the weakest in the Union, with one of the lowest per capita incomes and one of the highest percentages of residents below the poverty level. Traditionally a Democratic stronghold from its long history of unionization
    **NO, I don't see any good Quinn.
    jewjewbee

Answer by jewjewbee at 1:58 PM on Jun. 28, 2010

• I don't care if he's dead or a saint. Bigotry is still bigotry. What an a**hole.
    lovinangels

Answer by lovinangels at 2:08 PM on Jun. 28, 2010

• They also "respected" Strom Thurman too...they tend to overlook things like this in politics once you've lasted long enough...kind of pitiful IMO but hey what can you do...you can't tell anyone else who to respect or not...and to your follow up question no; I would never vote for someone with this background regardless of what they could possibly do in the future...
    beachmamaof2

Answer by beachmamaof2 at 1:49 PM on Jun. 28, 2010

• As a young man, he was a member of the Ku Klux Klan for a brief period, and he joined Southern Democrats in an unsuccessful filibuster against the landmark 1964 Civil Rights Act.

What?!?!?!?  You don't mean that Democrats tried to filibuster against the Civil Rights Act, do you?  

Okay, moving on from my sarcasm, I have no idea why anyone would hold respect for a man that had such hate in him as to not want everyone to have the same rights, regardless of the color of their skin.  And people call Republicans haters.  He is a good example of how there is hate everywhere, but it's better to know who they are.  I don't know where one separates ideals to be able to determine they feel one is respectable.  I am sure he has done some sort of good, but does it outweigh the bad?

QuinnMae

Answer by QuinnMae at 1:53 PM on Jun. 28, 2010

• But wait! There's more! LOL :o)

Congress passed the 15th Amendment in 1870, guaranteeing blacks the right to vote. Every single Republican voted for it, with every Democrat voting against it.

Democrats admitted beginning the Klan as an effort to stop the spread of the Republican Party and to re-establish Democratic control in Southern states.

Between 1870 and 1875, the Republican Congress passed many pro-black civil rights laws. But in 1876, Democrats took control of the House, and no further race-based civil rights laws passed until 1957. In 1892, Democrats gained control of the House, the Senate and the White House, and repealed all the Republican-passed civil rights laws.

How ANYONE can stand with the Democrats knowing this is beyond me!
    LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 2:17 PM on Jun. 28, 2010

• Because times they have changed! : )

***
    Times may have changed...but that doesn't mean people change right along with them!!! :o)
    LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 3:49 PM on Jun. 28, 2010

• Well,maybe he was respected by his fellow clan members. I did not know this about him. Well,good riddance then.One less bigoted bastard in the world!

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 1:27 PM on Jun. 28, 2010

• He was respected by some.

I was just talking to a co-worker about this! lol....Sorry, but being a klansman isn't a whoopsie my bad...It's a fundamental belief system.....If you had a profound experience that changed that...maybe.....just times changing?? not so much.

sweet-a-kins

Answer by sweet-a-kins at 1:30 PM on Jun. 28, 2010