S,R,F

When did your child start pronouncing these letters clearly in words?

BridgetC140

Asked by BridgetC140 at 1:39 PM on Jun. 28, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• The average range for /s/ is 3-8 (its a tough one)
    The average for /r/ is 3-6
    and the average for /f/ is 2.5-4

I'm using a chart that our speech therapist gave us. My son is almost 3 and still hasn't mastered p,m,h,n,w, and b (the first sounds most kids make).
    MommyH2

Answer by MommyH2 at 1:55 PM on Jun. 28, 2010

• Mine is 4 and still has trouble. I'm not worried because my daughter was the same way. It got much better in kindergarten.
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 1:42 PM on Jun. 28, 2010

• Well, my son was not the "norm", but, He was pronouncing those sounds at around 9 months. I would not recommend comparing to my kid.

Most kids take awhile to learn.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 1:50 PM on Jun. 28, 2010

• My son is 3.5 and the only one he has trouble with right now is "R". It's still like a a "W" sound but you can tell he's trying.

He used to have trouble with "S" until he was about 2.5. He used to pronounce them as "L". His name is Silas and he would call himself "Lilas". Lol, it was so cute.
    My 10 month old daughter sounds like she might do a bit better with annunciation though. Already if you ask her to say "Silas" she says "Si Si"(sounds like "sigh sigh")
    Laila-May

Answer by Laila-May at 1:51 PM on Jun. 28, 2010