Inexpensive ideas about food for graduation party?

My oldest DD graduated HS, it is has been a long hard battle because of her health issues. I am throwing her a picnic party at the end of July but have a VERY VERY small income. Any ideas on what I can serve cheaply? So far I have thought of meatballs, burgers, hot dogs, and some type of pasta salad.

LadySaphira

Asked by LadySaphira at 1:42 PM on Jun. 28, 2010 in Entertainment

• Baked beans. Yummy For the sauce I use ketchup, brown sugar, a little mustard and a dash of liquid smoke. My mom and dad used to get the pork and beans in the can and then rinse them off with water (seriously) but I just use small red beans that I bought dry and cooked up and froze to use for later. My dad used to add 2 lbs. of bacon into his when he made them in a big crockpot, but I think that's too much.
    badgirl44654

Answer by badgirl44654 at 1:46 PM on Jun. 28, 2010

• Bags of Apples tend to be cheap - I just bought one for $2.50 / 3lbs... Cut them up and serve them with caramel or chocolate to dip. Celery & Peanut Butter w/rasins is cheap...

I usually make Ranch Pasta for everything. It's just Pasta, Frozen Peas, carrot shreds, Bacon Bits, Parm Cheese & Ranch... Simple to make, holds well and everyone loves it!

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 1:47 PM on Jun. 28, 2010

• Baked beans, potato salad, pasta salad, homemade chicken salad sandwhiches, hot dogs, meatballs like you said, fruit, veggies, jello salad, homemade cake for dessert!
    CAGirl4

Answer by CAGirl4 at 1:48 PM on Jun. 28, 2010

• How many people are coming? That seems like alot of meat. I would stick with 1 type of food (meatballs and other appetizers) or hotdogs and cookout type food. hotdogs, baked beans, chips, pasta sald go god together.

meatballs, veggie tray, fruit tray, bread bowl with dip- all finger food kind of stuff. little smokies wrapped in bacon and cooked with brown sugar are good too! You cna make fruit dip with marshmallow creme, cool whip and a little cream cheese.

ria7

Answer by ria7 at 1:49 PM on Jun. 28, 2010

• I tried to add this as an edit but couldn't....I am unsure of the number of people attending yet, there are 22 people on hubby's side of the family, and 10 on mine...She wants to invite 3 of her teachers that have been especially supportive during her chemo and radiation and I haven't even started counting her friends which will be somewhere around 20. I plan on meatballs being the main "meat" because they are her favorite but want a little something for people who do not like them (like me). I am probably looking at a total of 55 to 65 people.
    LadySaphira

Comment by LadySaphira (original poster) at 2:04 PM on Jun. 28, 2010

• I love meatballs! I think those tiny lunch meat sandwhiches are always good and you could make them yourself. I would go for finger type foods with meatballs. you can make iced tea and lemonade and save money by not having sodas.

Everyone will have fun. Glad you have some supportive teachers. Hoep things get easier for you and your dd!!
    ria7

Answer by ria7 at 4:47 PM on Jun. 28, 2010

• Here's a link to really cute cookies: http://www.ehow.com/how_2284703_chocolate-graduation-cap-cookies.html I've been to a few graduation parties this year, and they've all had these cookies, they are so cute, easy and cheap to make! Also something like cheese and crackers, or a grape, apple slice plate with some yogurt for dipping would be pretty inexpensive. Congrats to your DD!!!!
    soccerchik8287

Answer by soccerchik8287 at 6:55 PM on Jun. 28, 2010