How long should rest time be?

Sometimes my 2 year old crashes at naptime. Sometimes he just lays there or gets down to play. So on the days he doesn't sleep how long should I leave him?

fairyinabubble

Asked by fairyinabubble at 1:45 PM on Jun. 28, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Once he starts schooll his rest time will probably be around an hour. To prepare him for that, I'd go ahead and start him on an hour rest time. Check with the school you're planning to enroll him at and see how long and what time they have rest time.
    renea20

Answer by renea20 at 1:47 PM on Jun. 28, 2010

• For my own sanity and for his, I make my son have "quiet time" for about an hour if he refuses to nap. This is usually just staying in his room, semi-trying to sleep, and being peaceful. I think it's important for them at that age to have a winding-down period and for me to have a little bit of a break from the chaos. When he does nap, it's a good 2 hour ordeal (and he usually naps every day).
    mickstinator

Answer by mickstinator at 1:49 PM on Jun. 28, 2010

• I would say until he either falls asleep or until he gets upset about being there. Sometimes my son will just lay there for an hour and then just span out of it and want to play. It just depends, but you know him better than anyone else...
    HuskerMommy08

Answer by HuskerMommy08 at 1:50 PM on Jun. 28, 2010