Help! My dog poops in the house practically every day.

He pees outside pretty consistently. He will poop outside sometimes. But quite often, I'll walk him, bring him in, go upstairs and when I come down there is a new pile of crap on the floor. What can I do? He is 8 months old.

mompam

Asked by mompam at 1:51 PM on Jun. 28, 2010 in Pets

• Crate him EVERY time after he eats. It will not be long before he is pooping & peeing outside. If he is pooping in the house, this means that he NEEDS to be crated. FYI, dogs like dens. In the wild, dogs will find a den & stay there most of the day so don't feel guilty leaving him in there. You feeling guilty takes away your dog pack authority. Remeber, you are the leader of your pack...not your dog.

As soon as you get home from work or whatever, take him outside FOR 5 minutes to go to the bathroom. If he goes, praise him. If he doesn't put him back in the crate for 15 minutes, then take him out & try again. What this does, is it teaches him to go to the bathroom when YOU want him too, not when he feels like it. If you keep doing this, he will eventually not need to stay in the crate. But, for right now, the crate is CRITICAL for potty training. Without it, you're going to have a rough time training him to go outside.
    samurai_chica

Answer by samurai_chica at 2:04 PM on Jun. 28, 2010

• I had the same issue with my dog for a long time. You can crate train him. I only put my dog in it at night but you can put your in when you bring him in and if his bed is in there, chances are he won't mess in there very often. It might still happen, but dogs will tend not to poop where they sleep.
    rhianna1708

Answer by rhianna1708 at 1:54 PM on Jun. 28, 2010

• I do crate train him, but I feel guilty keeping him in there so much. He goes in the crate when we leave the house, which is quite often. When we're home I let him loose in the house. You're probably right, I should keep him in the crate. >>>>>>

If you can not trust him when you are upstairs then you need to crate him till you come back down stairs...Don't feel guilty!
    Judmr

Answer by Judmr at 1:59 PM on Jun. 28, 2010

• I do crate train him, but I feel guilty keeping him in there so much. He goes in the crate when we leave the house, which is quite often. When we're home I let him loose in the house. You're probably right, I should keep him in the crate.
    mompam

Comment by mompam (original poster) at 1:56 PM on Jun. 28, 2010

• Go back to potty training. Take your dog out every 10-20 minutes when he/she goes treats! Crate training also works great! Mine will just go lay in there when ever she wants and has never P/Poo in there. I crate her when I leave the house so I have her in a safe place. She sleeps upstairs with us for the pass couple but when I first got her she was in there at night too. She is now 7 years old. Good luck!
    Judmr

Answer by Judmr at 1:58 PM on Jun. 28, 2010

• are you out there when he poops? You need to be out there with him & praise him when he poops outside. Also, get him a crate. And use it a lot while he is still a puppy. Praise him & give a treat when you put him in the cage, but totally ignore him when you take him out of the cage. By this he will learn that getting in the cage is good, but no big deal when he gets out.

Feed him, then put him in the crate for about an hour. Take him out of the crate & take him outside for ONLY 5 minutes! If he pees or poops, praise him RIGHT away, but NEVER over praise your dog, this will teach them that THEY are the head of the pack (you ar head of the pack, not him/her) If he does not poop, or pee, put him back in the crate for another 15 minutes. Make sure to give him a treat when pouttin ghim in the crate. Then after the 15 minutes, try again. After he poops & pee's he can stay out of the crate for a few hours. Cont...
    samurai_chica

Answer by samurai_chica at 1:59 PM on Jun. 28, 2010

• although it seems as though pooping and peeing is 2 different things for dogs to learn, you could also use your voice. when your dog poops, and he seems old enough now, you could point to it and in a stearn loud voice "WHAT IS THAT?" make sure he knows that you spotted it and your talking to him.

then possibly make a suggestion to do it outside instead? lol
    americansugar80

Answer by americansugar80 at 2:02 PM on Jun. 28, 2010

• I would get some training pads until he learns. At least it won't be on the floor. Hopefully!
    LittleWeloosMom

Answer by LittleWeloosMom at 2:03 PM on Jun. 28, 2010