Smokers: do you care about who is exposed to your smoke or littering?

One of the popular journals got me thinking. Where are all the considerate smokers? Can you admit it if you aren't one? Do you smoke inside a place you don't own (such as rented apartment) and ruin the walls? Do you smoke around your children? With them in the car? At or near playgrounds and pools? At the doorway of businesses? In school zones while lots of children are nearby? Do you try to avoid people while smoking since you know many people hate to be around it? Or is your concern only on you and your cigarette? Do you believe in the dangers of second hand smoke? Do you throw your butts on the floor?

jus1jess

Asked by jus1jess at 1:54 PM on Jun. 28, 2010 in Just for Fun

• The ASSumption that all smokers are inconsiderate is ASININE. Even though I quit, it still ticks me off.

A) As a smoker, you are getting 2nd hand smoke (through a filter), and unless others around you are subjecting their self to 1st hand smoke, most of us make sure that we are not in close proximity to anyone who doesn't smoke.
    B) NO responsible parent who cares for their child will subject them to cigarette smoke. Period.
    C) There are ashtrays & trash cans. Littering isn't the objective.
    D) I do not condone smoking inside- it is disgusting.
    ObbyDobbie

Answer by ObbyDobbie at 1:58 PM on Jun. 28, 2010

• I smoke, but only outdoors. If I am out somewhere and smoke I go somewhere that others won't have to have it in their faces. I don't throw my cigarette butts on the ground. If there is no ashtray for them I have a pocket ashtray in my purse that I use. It is a fireproof container that closes until I can get home to throw it away properly. I know second hand smoke is bad for people. I am trying to quit smoking myself but haven't been able to conquer it yet.
    LittleWeloosMom

Answer by LittleWeloosMom at 2:01 PM on Jun. 28, 2010

• I don't smoke near my or anyone else's children. My children have never and will never see me with a smoke in my hand. I only smoke outside and away from people, I would NEVER smoke with my kids in the car. It's actually illegal where I live, to smoke with children in the car.
    I don't smoke at playgrounds or anywhere kids will see me and if I'm smoking and someone walks by with a kid I either butt it out or hide it until they go by.
    Most playgrounds and businesses where I live are no-smoking areas and you have to be a certain distance from the front doors or any public building if you want to smoke.
    I definitely try to avoid other people because I know it's something that most people don't want to be around. I would want people to do the same for my kids.
    I am not going to smoke forever, I know this. While I do though, I am a "considerate" smoker.
    Laila-May

Answer by Laila-May at 2:01 PM on Jun. 28, 2010

• I started smoking as a teenager and back then, nope. Didn't care whatsoever because everyone I knew smoked. I'd flick the butts out the window, whatever. I never blowed smoke in someone's face though.
    When I got older, I stopped flicking them out the window because I realized... hey, duh that's littering. I NEVER smoked around children, even as a teenager. I did smoke at parks (like bbq's) but again, never around children and not around those who didn't smoke. We always designated a 'smoking area'. When I worked somewhere the general public would enter (like a retail store), I would smoke around the corner or out back. Not near the door because it's rude and trashy.
    We used to smoke inside our apartment definately. Especially if it was freezing outside but there were times when we would designate the place 'non smoking' and we'd go into the garage (we had a townhouse with attached garage).
    MayMommaToBe

Answer by MayMommaToBe at 2:08 PM on Jun. 28, 2010

• Well you know the rules have change so much for smokers. When I was little my mother would smoke in a store lets say LIKE walmart. Oh ya walking around with her cig and looking thru the cloths! See how times have changes lol' I think most smoker are considerate now adays...
    Judmr

Answer by Judmr at 2:14 PM on Jun. 28, 2010

• lol ran out of room, sorry.
    I quit smoking when I got pregnant. It's been almost 3 years (yay!). My hubby started smoking outside THAT day and wore a 'smoking jacket'. But while I was pregnant, I did notice that a lot of my friends and family didn't really have the 'duh factor' to not smoke around me. I had to start telling people that I understand they want a cigarette cuz I'd smoked too but hey, this is my baby we're talking about. After she was born, same thing. Mostly with my granny though. She kept trying to smoke around her and I'd have to kick her out of the apartment.
    I remember my parents used to smoke around me and my brother and sister without a problem but my hubby and I decided right off that she wouldn't see him smoke if he chose to keep smoking.
    ~~~For you smokers who want to quit: go to esmoke4life.com you can call the number too and it really is amazing. My hubby hasn't had a cig in 5 weeks
    MayMommaToBe

Answer by MayMommaToBe at 2:15 PM on Jun. 28, 2010

• I just think smokers don't understand how intrusive cigarette smoke is. My neighbors smoke in their driveway about 15 ft from my house. If my windows are open it comes in. So we keep our windows closed. If our air conditioner is on it comes in through that. And I am not talking about a little bit either, a whole cloud comes in. The A/C unit is on our roof, so it is far away from where they are smoking. Often smokers think they are being considerate about where they are smoking, but they don't understand how far that smoke travels.
    SleepingBeautee

Answer by SleepingBeautee at 2:16 PM on Jun. 28, 2010

• I don't smoke but my dh does. And I tell ya..id it werent' for me making him smoke outside and NOT to smoke IN the car...he would do those things. I did put out ashtrays outside for him and MOST of the butts end up there and for the butts that don't end up there..I make HIS butt go out and pick them up,lol. If I didn't take the baby from him when were walking from say..the car to the grocery store in the parking lot..he will light up with her in one arm and I burning cig in the other. IT DRIVES ME INSANE! But I've said all I have to say to him on it. I just roll my eyes and take the baby when he does that or if hes smoking right next to her when were sitting out on the deck, I just take her for a walk in the yard.I'm tired of arguing about it. Actually, I'm the one doing the groaning, he says nothing, just lights up.Grrr....so aggravating.I wish he'd quit already.
    kimberlyinberea

Answer by kimberlyinberea at 2:21 PM on Jun. 28, 2010

• BTW I don't assume anything of all smokers. I saw many "considerate smoker" replies that made me wonder how many were like that. It's refreshing to know they're out there. Though I wonder how many more honest "I smoke anywhere and anytime and I don't care who doesn't like it!" answers I'd see if the anonymous button was still around.
    jus1jess

Comment by jus1jess (original poster) at 2:25 PM on Jun. 28, 2010

• i used to smoke and still sometimes do, but i'm not one of those rude smokers. my kids don't know that i smoke. i smoke ouside and if there are people walking by, i won't smoke, i'll wait until they pass to exhale and i usually appologize and move out of their way anyway. i don't smoke near business entrances, you can't do that here, every business has a sign that says you cannot smoke within a certain amount of feet from the entrance. i don't litter, i will pull the ash off and throw the butt in the trash.
    kyuteangl88

Answer by kyuteangl88 at 2:29 PM on Jun. 28, 2010