At what age did your DD begin to hit puberty?

And at what age did you?

Was it close to the same?

ObbyDobbie

Asked by ObbyDobbie at 2:12 PM on Jun. 28, 2010 in Tweens (9-12)

• My oldest DD was around 12 but it was arrested after she had brain surgery and she had to be 'restarted" at the age of 17, my younger daughter started developing around the age of 12 and had her first period at 14, a year earlier than I started mine
    LadySaphira

Answer by LadySaphira at 2:15 PM on Jun. 28, 2010

• I am almost terrified! I had my first period when I was 10, and my dd is 9- her hips have filled out, and she was complaining that her nipples hurt- OH, MY, DOG!!! She's very slight, so that may prevent her from starting soon... It's mostly based on BMI. Oh crap... I don't know what I am going to do, she's already a hormonal whiny weepy mess!
    ObbyDobbie

Comment by ObbyDobbie (original poster) at 2:20 PM on Jun. 28, 2010

• 10!!! She is now 12 and built like a brick house! EEKKKKK
    chefronswife

Answer by chefronswife at 2:29 PM on Jun. 28, 2010

• Yeah, at 10 I was 5'1 and wore a womens sz 2. I was extremely athletic!!! By 11 I was a womens 4, and wore a C cup! I sooo hope she starts later than I did!
    ObbyDobbie

Comment by ObbyDobbie (original poster) at 2:44 PM on Jun. 28, 2010

• MY SD started a few months ago, and she is 10. The week before she starts she is a complete crazy girl. Very MEAN. She refuses to wear a bra even though she has to, but we are working on that! Good luck to you hun!! Puberty with girls is no fun.
    sprout.martin

Answer by sprout.martin at 3:36 PM on Jun. 28, 2010

• all my DDs started going thru puberty about age 10/11, their periods started about age 12. Ive been told most girls start getting their peroids about the same time the mothers did
    FairyRed

Answer by FairyRed at 3:40 PM on Jun. 28, 2010

• I had my first period at 12; my sister was 14; my MIL and her sisters were all 9 or ten. Fortunately, my daughter was 13, and very prepared.

Make your daughter a period kit to keep in her backpack; include clean underwear, a plastic zipper back to hold stained underwear, and two pads (make sure she knows how to use them).

Answer by rkoloms at 4:10 PM on Jun. 28, 2010

• @ rkoloms~ I appreciate the tip- she already has a special purple bag with the essentials in it, and she keeps it in her backpack for school, or with her @ sleepovers. I had a friend get her first period when she was sleeping over @ my house, and she was terrified because her mom had not prepared her. Her parents were out of town for the weekend, and we just had to deal with it- MY mom wound up explaining things.
    Fortunately, she's very well mentally/emotionally prepared, and has had any questions she could think of (and a lot she couldn't) asked and answered... I would never forgive myself if my daughter was caught off guard!!!

I think that it (the essentials) is something ALL mothers should put together for their daughters. That way she can always keep going with her activities, and not have to be ashamed or embarrassed.
    ObbyDobbie

Comment by ObbyDobbie (original poster) at 5:42 PM on Jun. 28, 2010

• my dd started at 8 she turned 9 this march she alreadt has breasts and pubic hair. i was 10 when i started
    jessle

Answer by jessle at 7:51 PM on Jun. 28, 2010

• She needed a bra WAY before me. She started her period at age 11.5, I was 13.5. I didn't NEED a bra until I was 14, BUT I had to HAVE one for PE in the 6th grade. It was more of a camisole than anything else. It was a size 32 AAA. At age 12, she is BIGGER than me! It's in the genes from her daddy's side of the family.. The women on his side are bigger busted than any on my side.
    plclemo

Answer by plclemo at 6:40 AM on Jun. 29, 2010