will putting my 7 week old to bed at the same time every night help him to develop good sleep habits and sleep through the night?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:25 PM on Jun. 28, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• yes! it will. my dd has been on the same schedule since she was 8 weeks and it has worked out really well. a bedtime routine is really helpful too.
    rhianna1708

Answer by rhianna1708 at 2:28 PM on Jun. 28, 2010

• i say it'll help, my son went to sleep at the same time since....birth i guess.. but my daughter just seems to always want to go to sleep at different times but i aim for a range around the same time every night. now my son is 3 and he gets sleepy at the same time and goes to sleep and wake up like clock work. same with my daughter. Give it a try but don't push it, if baby just isn't sleepy than letting baby stay up a little later is fine, plus baby is just 7 weeks old so things are unpredictable right now
    khmymommi

Answer by khmymommi at 2:29 PM on Jun. 28, 2010

• Not at 7 weeks. Right now his sleep schedule will be pretty sporadic, but you can help him learn to adjust by keeping the lights low or off when you get up with him at night and keeping the room he naps in during the day light. That will help him learn that night time is for sleeping, but he's still too young to set up a specific sleep schedule. I think I usually got a scheduled with my kids at about 4 months.
    degsyuna

Answer by degsyuna at 2:29 PM on Jun. 28, 2010

• Of course it will. It'll be good for your sanity too. Just remember that your baby may not sleep through the night until a few months later. Just sleep when he/she sleeps.
    Deathlilly

Answer by Deathlilly at 2:30 PM on Jun. 28, 2010

• Yes. Then you wont have to tell him what to do every second....he will just know what to do on his own eventually and he will cooperate with you.
    3gigglemonsters

Answer by 3gigglemonsters at 2:39 PM on Jun. 28, 2010

• I think it's good to start early but don't get disappointed if he doesn't take to your schedule. He's very little. :)
    nytefae

Answer by nytefae at 2:46 PM on Jun. 28, 2010

• There's no harm in trying...especially if he seems to go along with it. I started doing this with my little one real early and if he woke up, I wouldn't turn on any bright lights or anything. I would just change his diaper, give him a bottle then rock with him or lay with him and he'd go back to sleep. He was a great sleeper, but some aren't I know...so like the other person said - don't be disapointed about it. Just don't give him a lot of stimulation at night and eventually he'll understand that night time isn't for playing or being awake.
    crystalbean2

Answer by crystalbean2 at 3:13 PM on Jun. 28, 2010

• Yes my daughter had been on a bed time routine since about 1 month! at 2 months old she started sleeping all night! not sure if we r just lucky but it seemed to help us! good luck
    Caroline2010

Answer by Caroline2010 at 3:21 PM on Jun. 28, 2010

• yes. my 3 month old has been going to bed at 730/800 since she was 7 weeks old or so.
    rileymommy

Answer by rileymommy at 4:05 PM on Jun. 28, 2010

• Time...

Most babies don't sleep through the night on a regular basis until well after their first birthday.

Answer by rkoloms at 4:06 PM on Jun. 28, 2010