Delayed allergic reaction to novacain?

I went to the dentist this morning for a filling and left around 11 am..it is now 2:30 my mouth is still numb and my face itches horribly! It is driving me nuts!!! Is it normal to still be numb this long after the appointment? Could the itching be a delayed allergic reaction? I feel like ripping my cheek off completely right about now!

LadySaphira

Asked by LadySaphira at 2:39 PM on Jun. 28, 2010 in Health

• Yes, it's normal to still be numb and as the numbness wears off it is also normal to itch. The intensity of your itch does not sound normal, though. Take a Zyrtec and call your dentist. It would be more likely that you are allergic to the latex that was on the gloves than the novicain, however. If you are reacting to the latex, you may itch and have a swollen/stiff jaw for a few days.
    ThrivingMom

Answer by ThrivingMom at 3:25 PM on Jun. 28, 2010

• thank you ThrivingMom....the numbness has finally went away and the itching is not as bad as it was. My jaw does ache but i think it is from having to hold my mouth open for so long (I have TMJ) as our dental office is latex free.
    LadySaphira

Comment by LadySaphira (original poster) at 4:14 PM on Jun. 28, 2010