Safe to give birth again after a severe post hemorrhage?

I am not the person in question...its my sister in law:
During the first child birth we had a severe post hemorrhage. She was given 4 blood tranfussions....and the doctor said if this would have happened 30yrs ago, she would not have made it......would it be a huge risk for her to ever give birth again?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:42 PM on Jun. 28, 2010 in Pregnancy

• I think it just depends. I had a severe postpartum hemorrhage, and my doc said it was still safe to deliver again. Was your SIL induced? I was, and my doc believes that is the reason for my hemorrhage. So this time, we'll be avoiding pitocin at all costs. Yes, sometimes in small quantities it can actually STOP the bleeding, but in use for inductions, where the use of pitocin takes you from zero to 100mph, your risk of PP hemorrhage is highly increased. Either way, this is something she really needs to discuss with her OB. I can only tell you my personal experience.
    milfalicious08

Answer by milfalicious08 at 2:46 PM on Jun. 28, 2010

• I hemorraged after the birth of my third son. Two pints of blood and sixteen months later, I delivered -safely and naturally- our daughter. I think it would depend on the individual situation but at least for me... It wasn't a problem. Scariest moment of my life I have to say.
    nytefae

Answer by nytefae at 2:50 PM on Jun. 28, 2010

• Yes, it is. My sis had pretty much the same experience with her first child as the PP described. She has had 4 (and now about to have 5) subsequent births that she did not hemorrhage, or have any abnormal bleeding- she also had a VERY adverse reaction to pitocin, it took them almost 10 hours to get her heart rate back to normal- and they believe that the pitocin is what caused the hemorrhage.
    ObbyDobbie

Answer by ObbyDobbie at 2:53 PM on Jun. 28, 2010

• The answer can be yes depending on the situation.Get a second opinion to play it safe.I also hemorrhaged and was in ICU for two days but it was 25 years ago and I had three more children. I was always considered high risk so tell her to follow her docs advice.

drfink

Answer by drfink at 4:36 PM on Jun. 28, 2010