what is a bicorne?

It is some kind of hat. Ineed to know what it is used for.

marievegan

Asked by marievegan at 2:43 PM on Jun. 28, 2010 in Tweens (9-12)

• I googled it. There are pictures online too.

The bicorne or bicorn (two-cornered) is an archaic form of hat widely adopted in the 1790s as an item of uniform by European and American military and naval officers. It is now most readily associated with Napoléon Bonaparte but in practice most generals and staff officers of the Napoleonic period wore bicornes, and it survived as a widely worn full-dress headdress until at least 1914.
    elizabr

Answer by elizabr at 2:47 PM on Jun. 28, 2010

• http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bicorne      Best I can do as an answer.

BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 2:47 PM on Jun. 28, 2010

• since bicornate is a term used to describe the "two horned" uterus of some animals, I would guess it's a hat that has those horn things sticking out of the top? like those elf hats or something of the sort...
    just a guess, lol
    carliemarie1015

Answer by carliemarie1015 at 2:48 PM on Jun. 28, 2010

• All I know is it's the type of hat you see Napoleon wear in pictures with the points on either side, so I'd assume that there's some military purpose for it, part of some uniform. I have a vague memory about it being used to display the colors of which side you're on and that it can be easily carried when taken off because it folds up. But that's about it.
    eringobrough

Answer by eringobrough at 2:48 PM on Jun. 28, 2010