Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

1 Bump

How do I get the owner of my apartment complex to get up off his butt &

get my leaking roof fixed. At the moment we can't move so that is not a option. We have a chance of rain all week and it just seems like the roof will cave in soon. I've called the Health Department and they don't do anything except they say they will look into it, but never do.


Asked by itsallabtthem84 at 2:55 PM on Jun. 28, 2010 in Home & Garden

Level 37 (91,104 Credits)
This question is closed.
Answers (8)
  • I'm with you. The maintance guy at my apartment complex doesnt fix anything! And whats even worse is the Manager that is suppose to come in twice a week barely comes in twice a month! Its so frustrating! I just wish I could afford to buy my own house right now!##$@#

    Answer by SabrenaLeigh at 2:58 PM on Jun. 28, 2010

  • Does your city and/or county have a housing authority? (They should.) Your complaint should be filed with them instead of the health dept. Your landlord is required to supply you with basics living conditions, and a leak-free roof is one of them. Legally he has to put you up in alternate housing, such as a motel, until he can fix the leak.

    Answer by Linds2Horse at 3:04 PM on Jun. 28, 2010

  • What if you withheld your next month's RENT...until he fixes the problem(s)?! And threaten to take him to small claims court if he doesn't correct the problem within the next 10 days!! :o)

    Answer by LoriKeet at 3:04 PM on Jun. 28, 2010

  • Call the housing authority/code enforcement it worked for me!!!

    Answer by kjbennett26 at 3:14 PM on Jun. 28, 2010

  • LOL, that is who I called.(housing authority/code enforement). When you call the health Department here they are the same people. Why I have no clue, lol.

    Comment by itsallabtthem84 (original poster) at 3:17 PM on Jun. 28, 2010

  • Contact the local renters' rights office.

    Answer by rkoloms at 3:56 PM on Jun. 28, 2010

  • I agree with mybabybugssmile, legally if you are paying rent and they fail to fix an issue such as yours you can terminate your lease, you don't have to move but if they take too long threaten to take them to court, or can you contact someone at their corporate office to complain?


    Answer by LuvmyFam6 at 3:02 PM on Jun. 28, 2010

  • Stop paying rent until its fixed. That will get his attention real quick.

    Answer by mybabybugssmile at 2:59 PM on Jun. 28, 2010