Do you believe that you should have the right to choose when you die?

New interview with Kevokian got me thinking....

WHY do so many people believe that you should not have the right to decide when your life should expire?

ObbyDobbie

Asked by ObbyDobbie at 3:06 PM on Jun. 28, 2010 in Religion & Beliefs

• If i have the right to choose to prolong my life with medical intervention i should have the right to choose to end my life (withing reason) with medical intervention. JMHO.
    outstandingLove

Answer by outstandingLove at 6:37 PM on Jun. 28, 2010

• I think if pain is unbearable and there is no hope of getting better then it is cruel to force someone to go on that way. We give our pets the courtesy of mercy, do we not?
    LittleWeloosMom

Answer by LittleWeloosMom at 3:10 PM on Jun. 28, 2010

• Interesing question. I guess because it seems unnatural to choose. Life has its own way of working that we often don't see from just inside our own limited perspective. If WE decide when to die, then we are manipulating our outcome in a way that could gyp us of many experiences we were meant to have.
    mickstinator

Answer by mickstinator at 3:07 PM on Jun. 28, 2010

• I think that if you are healthy mentally and physically then obviously you would not chose death, but for the terminal cancer patients and other incredibly sickly people, it should be their right to decide if they are ready to go.
    MamaRoberts

Answer by MamaRoberts at 3:10 PM on Jun. 28, 2010

• I do believe people have the right to choose when and how you want to die. DH and i have talked a lot about how we'd like to die, and when we'd like to die, in a way that is comfortable and dignified.

I don't understand why people are against it other than that they are scared.
    UpSheRises

Answer by UpSheRises at 3:15 PM on Jun. 28, 2010

• to me, it makes no sense why its still illegal. we can choose when our pets die, we can choose whither a fetus grows or dies, and choose if a murder lives or dies, but we cant let others help us die? i can see how someone could use this to harm ppl, but the majority are capable of telling others they want to die, why cant we respect that? i read an article a few weeks ago that often DNR requests arent honored at hospitals b/c the drs & nurses dont want to risk being sued by the family. its just sad!

and most ways of suicide are painful. why cant a person just drift off to sleep or just have their heart stopped w/ medicine...its good enough for convicted murders, why not the innocent?
    okmanders

Answer by okmanders at 4:02 PM on Jun. 28, 2010

• young-not-dumb: many people who would like assisted suicide legal are not physically capable of committing suicide. That's why it would need to be assisted. Think of terminally ill people who are incapable of the most mundane tasks, forever trapped in a broken body and in unimaginable pain. No one should be sentenced to a life of misery like that. Even people who aren't terminally ill, but are still in severe pain and will never get better. I would never let an animal in serious pain suffer and I think it's unconscionable to do it to a human. Everyone should be afforded the opportunity to die with dignity and on their terms.

deadheadjen

Answer by deadheadjen at 3:42 PM on Jun. 28, 2010

• I think if someone is in tremendous pain, they should be able to choose to end their pain (by suicide or assisted suicide). It's not for me to judge how much pain another person can/should be able to take and it seems needlessly cruel to expect them to continue living when living is tortuous.
    FrogSalad

Answer by FrogSalad at 3:47 PM on Jun. 28, 2010

• It is *MY* life a*MY* body, it should be *MY* choice! Why should someone else get to make those kinds of decisions for me? No one else could possibly know when the pain gets to be too much or whether my quality of life makes it worth staying alive. I feel it is an injustice that we can give our pets a dignified, less painful death but can not afford the same right to human beings who can TELL us that that is what they prefer.
    jessradtke

Answer by jessradtke at 5:20 PM on Jun. 28, 2010

• All for it. I agree with others that we treat animals more humanely than we do our terminally ill.
    anng.atlanta

Answer by anng.atlanta at 5:23 PM on Jun. 28, 2010