What is the most expensive purchase you made online--sight unseen?

How much did you spend? Was the quality what you expected? Did you get a good deal, or were you ripped off? If you were ripped off, did you get a full refund?!

I've wondered for a long time, does anyone actually purchase something as expensive as a diamond engagement ring (like from Blue Nile), an expensive watch (like a Rolex or Movado), real estate/property (in another state/country), etc. online, without first checking out the EXACT item in person (see, touching, inspecting/surveying)? Would you really know what kind of questions to ask for proof of quality or authenticity?!

I just wonder how these exclusively online companies manage to stay in business?! :o)

LoriKeet

Asked by LoriKeet at 3:15 PM on Jun. 28, 2010 in Shopping

• Probably when we booked the Mountain lodge for our wedding & reception. I think it was about $3,000. I'm pretty sure that's the most i ever spent through the internet.
    samurai_chica

Answer by samurai_chica at 3:17 PM on Jun. 28, 2010

• A necklace that I recently bought. I knew it would be small, and it is, but it is a pretty and dainty item.

Answer by Bmat at 3:17 PM on Jun. 28, 2010

• I bought my hubby's wedding band over the internet. We had sized his finger in a store and he'd told me what type he wanted, so there really wasn't much issue with buying online. It turned out just fine. : )

Other than that, the most expensive thing I can think of was our Wii, but we bought it off of walmart.com so it would have been easy to return had there been some kind of mishap (there wasn't).
    mickstinator

Answer by mickstinator at 3:18 PM on Jun. 28, 2010

• One of our camera lenses. I think it was around $1700. We got a decent deal. I mean that particular lens wasn't cheap anyway, so I think we might have saved around $100. We buy most of our electronics and camera stuff online among other things, but off the top of my head, that was probably one of the more expensive things we've bought.
    Christina807

Answer by Christina807 at 3:25 PM on Jun. 28, 2010

• I bought my iBook online! It was $1500 and it's on its last leg......
    meganpmom

Answer by meganpmom at 3:25 PM on Jun. 28, 2010

• My DH bought me the Cartier Love Necklace with diamonds for my 40th Birthday. He saw it in a magazine and called Cartier direct and they mailed it to him at work. I was floored and speechless! That was a very big surprise! I love it! He's a great guy!
    ILovemyPaulie

Answer by ILovemyPaulie at 4:53 PM on Jun. 28, 2010

• My couch. It was just like the description said. I also bought my vacuum online. It was cheaper than the store and free shipping.

Answer by admckenzie at 6:13 PM on Jun. 28, 2010

• I bought the furniture set for my bedroom. It was I think $2500 and I was so worried that I wouldn't like it. The pictures were teeny. I absolutely love it though.
    JulieJacobKyle

Answer by JulieJacobKyle at 9:05 PM on Jun. 28, 2010

• The only kind of things I have bought online that were expensive was crib/changing table for my son. I also buy a lot of things from walmart.com and ebay.com Most all things I have bought have been what I expected. But I don't think I would purchase real estate,jewely or anything like that online though.
    BlainesMommy09

Answer by BlainesMommy09 at 3:19 PM on Jun. 28, 2010

• A chocolate candle for my cm friend. She loves this store and its up by her.
    beyondhopes

Answer by beyondhopes at 3:19 PM on Jun. 28, 2010