Can this be considered a TANTRUM?

Okay so he's 7 months old.

Yesterday, note this was not the first, he was playing with his toys on the floor, minding his own business. We have him under a routine. 1 hour after he wakes up he gets some baby food, I breastfeed so I consider the baby food a brunch sort of deal.

I pick him up to put him in his high chair and as soon as he realized he had to sit in it he arched his whole body back, threw his head and arms back and started yelling/screaming.

Is this a MINI Tantrum? or just a baby who didn't get his way?

What is a tantrum like, when do babies/tots start to explore them?

DomoniqueWS

Asked by DomoniqueWS at 3:19 PM on Jun. 28, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• i would say a tantrum my son did the same thing and still does it and he is one and a half... only he is way better at throwing them now than he was then
    jaksonsmommy

Answer by jaksonsmommy at 3:21 PM on Jun. 28, 2010

• I would say this is just getting upset that this was not what he wanted to do, so I guess like you said it is a mini tantrum. My DD didn't really start tantrums until well after her first birthday, and I knew one when I saw it. It was always a reaction to not getting what she wanted, or having something taken away, and of course included crying, screaming, and generally flailing herself about like the most miserable little person in the world. And then she either got over it or I distracted her with something else and she moved on. I think the point of a tantrum is the child hopes their outburst will get them the result they wanted in the first place, so for a 7 month old he was probably more just reacting rather than thinking you would let him out of his chair if he had his fit. Sounds like you had a little preview of tantrums to come. Sometimes I have to hide a smile because DD is so dramatic and it is kind of funny/cute. GL
    MaryMW

Answer by MaryMW at 3:24 PM on Jun. 28, 2010

• Babies don't have a lot of ways to communicate, i wouldn't consider it a tantrum, he was just using the tools he had. In early childhood we sometimes call tantrums, large motor expressions of anger, he's using his body language to tell you what he wants.
    UpSheRises

Answer by UpSheRises at 3:36 PM on Jun. 28, 2010

• It could be.
    sta517

Answer by sta517 at 3:21 PM on Jun. 28, 2010

• i'd say that's the begining of a tantrum
    jennifer588

Answer by jennifer588 at 3:22 PM on Jun. 28, 2010

• How else was he supposed to let you know that he didn't want to sit there? Maybe he was busy doing something more interesting, maybe he didn't want to have anything to eat. Pre verbal babies have limited ways to communicate desires. Its not a tantrum, any more than your own irritations over being interrupted. kwim?
    amileegirl

Answer by amileegirl at 4:40 PM on Jun. 28, 2010