Why is my post "too long"?

I am getting an error message saying my post cannot be more that 30000 characters long. I have defiantly seen posts that are way more involved and longer than mine... with many colors, pictures and big fonts.

I am using the smallest font and almost all black lettering with only two pictures.

Help?

SupriseImPregy

Asked by SupriseImPregy at 3:38 PM on Jun. 28, 2010 in About CafeMom

• I am going to guess that you copy/pasted at least parts of your post. When you use the the tool bar to change font/size/color etc the HTML code piggybacks on the text. Like NP said, that is where most of the characters are taken up when you get that error. It's the what you see when a post first loads and then disappears as the formatted text/photos come up. It will keep all the code even that part that isn't being used anymore so a post that has been copied and changed several times will have a ton of extra code that can't be deleted Try starting over in a clean post and typing out what you want to post and then changing the font

Another reason you could be getting that message is if you are using a lot of links. The actual url address takes up character spaces even if you are using a hyper linked word. Some can be super long esp. on this site. They take up characters quickly.

Spaces count too. A blank line counts as 4
    Liansmommie

Answer by Liansmommie at 6:30 PM on Jun. 28, 2010

• There is a top limit on journals - keep in mind when you add pictures and such that every letter of the html code counts as a character, even if you don't see it. So every picture, color change, font change, is adding at least 7 and usually many more characters that you don't see.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 4:26 PM on Jun. 28, 2010

• I did not know this.
    sta517

Answer by sta517 at 3:39 PM on Jun. 28, 2010

• Write as much as you can in one and continue with another if you need to. Otherwise if your question is that long, just write as much as you can and then continue it in the answers below.
    Lifes-A-Dance

Answer by Lifes-A-Dance at 3:40 PM on Jun. 28, 2010

• i know lots of other people answer their question with more details
    jaksonsmommy

Answer by jaksonsmommy at 3:41 PM on Jun. 28, 2010

• if you're asking a question then I would think 30000 characters is plenty. If you really ned to add more, just post the first half with the letters "cont'd" at the end, and then answer your own question with the rest of your info. - also you can reduce characters by using & instead of and etc. 30000 is a short essay!
    myheartx4

Answer by myheartx4 at 3:41 PM on Jun. 28, 2010

• More info on my question.

This is actually a Pregnancy Journal that each of us in our group is doing... we all just Edit and continue with our journal. I have seen very long journals much longer than mine...
    SupriseImPregy

Comment by SupriseImPregy (original poster) at 3:54 PM on Jun. 28, 2010