I'd really like your thoughts.

I ain't quite sure how I feel about this. On one hand I can't imagine what she's going through as a gold star wife. On the other hand complying with company policy is hardly unpatriotic, at least I don't think so anyway. Opinions?

http://cbs13.com/local/marine.widow.verizon.2.1772409.html

BlueCollarMama

Asked by BlueCollarMama at 3:51 PM on Jun. 28, 2010 in Politics & Current Events

• BlueCollarMama

Comment by BlueCollarMama (original poster) at 3:51 PM on Jun. 28, 2010

• company responded saying, " Verizon Wireless has long supported our troops and worked with members of the armed services with flexibility. Once we understood this Marine's widow's circumstances, we quickly resolved the situation. We regret any undue frustration we may have caused the Brummunds. Our thoughts and prayers are with Mrs. Brummund and her family."

It looks like she got what she wanted / needed.  It's a shame that it took going to the media to make them listen a little better.  I think big companies aren't as likely to listen unless they know everyone is watching.  If it had been her choice to move and her DH hadn't been killed in action I could see not waving the fee, but her circumstances warrant an exception IMO.

QuinnMae

Answer by QuinnMae at 3:58 PM on Jun. 28, 2010

• It's disgusting! They are just greedy, money hungry (insert preferred word). I think it is a sad statement when it took media attention for them to forgive fees when she had proof of her husbands death. my heart goes out to her and her family.
    LadySaphira

Answer by LadySaphira at 3:59 PM on Jun. 28, 2010

• I think they finally did the right thing and that's good. The original operator was just being an @ss. Of COURSE she could have waived it! Companies do it ALL the time. Heck , they waived the cancellation fee to my direct TV over them screwing up the bills and the service for 8 months straight. They waive fees when they want you to stay when you threaten to cancel. and then every once in a while you get this kind of person. I am a little curious why she didn't get bumped up to a supervisor. You would think THEY would have handled this better!

momof030404

Answer by momof030404 at 3:59 PM on Jun. 28, 2010

• We had to pay the $200 cancellation fee when my FIL died in March. It didn't matter we provided a Death Certificate. The contract was canceled - end of discussion.
    jesse123456

Answer by jesse123456 at 3:59 PM on Jun. 28, 2010

• I think it's crap. These companies can bend their rules a little bit in certain circumstances such as this. I see that they finally did so once a TV station got involved. They knew all along what she was going through as she explained it to them several times. It wasn't like she just didn't want it anymore, she was moving to an area that Verizon didn't cover.
    shanlaree

Answer by shanlaree at 4:02 PM on Jun. 28, 2010

• I think Verizon was 100% wrong in their decision regarding termination fee. Michaela Brummond shouldn't be penalized because they don't have service in the area Michaela has decided to live. The company was unpatriiotic, her move was due to her husband's death for our country.
    Rnurse

Answer by Rnurse at 4:02 PM on Jun. 28, 2010

• I was a supervisor for one of Verizon's competitors for a LONG time. Though complying with company policy is not unpatriotic, in certain situations, a little heart and a little compassion goes a VERY long way in keeping customers happy. The bottom line for any company is to make more money. The best way to make money in the cell phone industry? Long time happy customers, or at least ex customers who have really nice things to say. I would have in an instant waived this woman's early termination fee. Yes, she couldn't have been a customer anymore, but maybe the headline would've read "Verizon has compassion" or whatever. Good press, rather than negative press b/c I guarantee you, they lost more money from this one article than they would've had they just waived the dumb fee. With the cost of phone calls, what is paid to reps, sups etc to talk to them + the negative article...it was way more costly to turn her down
    Mom_2_cuties

Answer by Mom_2_cuties at 4:07 PM on Jun. 28, 2010

• Oh, and the company I used to work for 1. Allowed customer's out of their contract w/ no fee if they moved to an area w/ no coverage and 2. Allowed cancellations w/o penalty if there was a death...no certificate required, take the customer's word, don't make it more difficult than it needed to be for them.
    Mom_2_cuties

Answer by Mom_2_cuties at 4:10 PM on Jun. 28, 2010

• The unfortnate fact is that customer service operators often can think out side of the box. They know what they are trained to do and often, they can not think to deviate from that scipt. I had this occur for many other companies besides cell phone companies. I think that they need more training for customer service representatives.
    layh41407

Answer by layh41407 at 4:18 PM on Jun. 28, 2010