If your child goes to public school , what do you think about the district charging the families yearly school instructional fees?

In our district, the school board just voted to charge each student $60.00 per year for instructional fees to close the budget gap. Plus $100.00 per student per year/per sport for a participation fee (thats on top of the normal fees they already have in place).

In one hand, I understand. But in the other hand..its kind of irritating because thats what the residential taxes are supposed to be for! I think if this is acceptable without taking a vote of the parents, then in the future it will stat to be acceptable to charge more and more for public schooling.

Is this happening in your district? What are your thoughts on that?

kimberlyinberea

Asked by kimberlyinberea at 3:55 PM on Jun. 28, 2010 in General Parenting

• That is crazy!! I hope that doesn't happen here! I would like a detailed descrition of where this money would be going. I also suppose there will be quite a few families who will get waivers (like free lunches) so it will only be a few families that will end up actually paying these fees.
    Most renters do end up paying property tax through rent. If property tax goes up so does someones rent!
    lil_angel00

Answer by lil_angel00 at 4:22 PM on Jun. 28, 2010

• We have a $20 per student fee,$75 cap per family plus we have to buy our kids supplies PLUS the teachers supplies! I think this is ridiculous since the schools look like hell! I want to know where all that money is going.Our district has close to 10,000 students. At 20 bucks a pop,that's $200,000!

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 3:59 PM on Jun. 28, 2010

• My daughter is only 2, so I know your question wasn't directed at me, but if that were happening here I would throw a HUGE fit. It's NOT acceptable to charge taxpayers, who are already footing the bill for the school budget more money without taking a vote. It's totally not okay. What happens to the families who can't afford that? It's ridiculous. No way would I put up with it, my child would be moving to another school district (there goes your funding for that child!) or, if that was not an option, I would be homeschooling. Or, if I had the money, I'd just move her to a private school, just because if I'm going to be charged extra for my daughter's education, it's going to be by MY choice, not the school district's.
    Ati_13

Answer by Ati_13 at 4:01 PM on Jun. 28, 2010

• If they are charging you then it's not public school. What happens if the family can't pay?
    Cindy18

Answer by Cindy18 at 3:57 PM on Jun. 28, 2010

• They probably cannot make up the budget difference tacking those fees onto homeowners, possibly because there aren't enough property owners in your school district--renters don't pay property taxes? It also likely wouldn't be fair to charge one homeowner, say $500 more to make up for the 4 rental families that won't pay the fee. Sure the property owner pays taxes, but only a set percentage on the property--not for every individual unit or tenant.
    LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 4:02 PM on Jun. 28, 2010

• I think it is CRAZY! That is what our property taxes are for! We already have to pay fees for EVERYTHING else!
    RutterMama

Answer by RutterMama at 4:05 PM on Jun. 28, 2010

• Wow. I don't even spend that much on curriculum per year for homeschooling my three children! That's crazy! An like others have asked, what about the families that cannot afford to fees? That's just not right at all.
    momof3inTN

Answer by momof3inTN at 4:05 PM on Jun. 28, 2010

• Paying for public school?! I've heard of paying for books and some supplies, but instructional fees?! Where the hell do you live?
    allmyblessings

Answer by allmyblessings at 4:05 PM on Jun. 28, 2010

• Wow. That is just crazy. I can understand in a private school situation, but not in public school where we're paying taxes for it. That just opens the door for all kinds of crap. What's next? A transportation fee so your kids can ride the bus?
    Journey311

Answer by Journey311 at 4:34 PM on Jun. 28, 2010

• I was wondering the same thing, Cindy18. I have no idea what they will do if a family can't pay. Will they not let the child attend class? They would have to have some type of waiver in place, I am hoping. $60.00 may not sound like much but for some families thats the equivilant of thier grocery shopping for the week!
    kimberlyinberea

Comment by kimberlyinberea (original poster) at 4:00 PM on Jun. 28, 2010