no dirty diapers yet today..

my daughter is 2 months old... she has not had a dirty diaper yet today..wet ones only.... when should i be concerned?

cnv13085

Asked by cnv13085 at 4:12 PM on Jun. 28, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Not a concern at all! From Is my breastfed baby constipated?

"It is normal for the bowel movements of a breastfed to decrease in frequency when the colostrum, which has laxative properties, is completely gone from the mother's milk after about six weeks of age. A baby this age may continue to have bowel movements as frequently as five times a day, sometimes even after every nursing. It is also normal for a breastfed baby older than six weeks to have only one bowel movement every few days. Some healthy babies will have only one bowel movement a week. When bowel movements are less frequent, they should be more profuse in volume."

maggiemom2000

Answer by maggiemom2000 at 4:46 PM on Jun. 28, 2010

• Are you BFing? If so, BM is so easily and completely digested that sometimes there isn't anything "left over" to create a BM. But, even if your FF, one day without a messy dipe is okay too. As long as she doesn't have hard, pellet like poo that she has to strain to eliminate, she should be fine.
    milfalicious08

Answer by milfalicious08 at 4:15 PM on Jun. 28, 2010

• yes i am breastfeeding and she usually has dirty diapers throughout the day..sometimes with every nurse session. should i call her dr if she doesnt have any dirty diapers either tonight or in the morning?
    cnv13085

Comment by cnv13085 (original poster) at 4:18 PM on Jun. 28, 2010

• Sometimes that just happens they just stop for a little while. She might end up having it all at once later today or this evening. You might get 3 pooy diapers in a row later. Does she seem uncomfortable, or gassy at all? Does she have a fever , does she seem like her self today is she eating at all? Is she on formula or breastfed?
    If she is breastfed it could be something you ate that has her a little plugged up. If she is on formula (especially one with iron, or prosobee) that can bind them up at times . I wouldn't worry about it just yet. If you want to help her along put her in a warm bath and massage her tummy. Let her rest her chest across your forarm in the sink with warm water and just massage her tummy and around her lower back (kidney area) this should help. Call your provider just to be sure. Good luck!
    1nglmom3

Answer by 1nglmom3 at 4:21 PM on Jun. 28, 2010

• she is usually gassy anyways... and fussy.. so idk :) i will call if she still has nothing in the morning
    cnv13085

Comment by cnv13085 (original poster) at 4:27 PM on Jun. 28, 2010

• TOTALLY not a concern. I swear. BF babies often dont go for DAYS. It's common to go several times a day in the beginning and then go for days and nothing. Constipation has nothing to do w/ frequency. It's all about consistancy. Hard pellets, or a hard belly are the signs to look for. I have never heard of a EBF baby being constipated. Realy.
    new_mom808

Answer by new_mom808 at 9:40 PM on Jun. 28, 2010

• Well 2 of mine got pluged up by what I ate. I HAVE NEVER heard it is normal for a baby to have 1 bowel movement every few days. If your baby is gassy, is her tummy hard? Is she irritable? She might be constipated. IT CAN HAPPEN TO BREASTFED BABYS. If you had something to eat yesterday or last night that is out of your normal routine food groups (normally don't eat dairy then last night had a 4 cheese pizza) that can shock the babys system cause a little back up. Gassy and /or fussy are signs something didn't agree with her. Try the warm bath and massaging her tummy, or gas drops if she seems like she is too uncomfortable and call your dr. gl2u!
    1nglmom3

Answer by 1nglmom3 at 11:44 PM on Jun. 28, 2010

• It's very normal for breastfed babies to go longer without pooping after the first 3 weeks. My niece had poop thursday. =) Just be prepared for a blowout. =) My daughter would get very gassy and squirmy leading up to her poop day (they were about a week apart) and then we'd have 6-8 poopy diapers in a row.
    lifetimelove

Answer by lifetimelove at 2:07 AM on Jun. 29, 2010