Ever had mastititis?

What was the first sign for you? What did it take to make it go away?

(and yes, I'm on my way over to the hospital to ask lactation about it too)

tyheamma

Asked by tyheamma at 4:15 PM on Jun. 28, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• IT usually stars with a plugged duct. When it develops into mastitis you usually run a fever (and it can be a high one too!) I got it a few times in the first few months of nursing my first baby. I ran such a high fever, I felt like I had been run over by a truck. I didn't realize at the time that I had an oversupply of milk (no LCs or Drs picked up on this either) that was making me so prone to it.

Warm compresses, lots of nursing and lots of rest is the best thing you can do. Check out the info at Oversupply and make sure you don't have any of the other symptoms.

maggiemom2000

Answer by maggiemom2000 at 4:44 PM on Jun. 28, 2010

• I have. I used a warm washcloth and a hand pump and pumped the shit out of it. I also got antibiotics from the doc.
    MomOfDagJag

Answer by MomOfDagJag at 4:22 PM on Jun. 28, 2010

• I had it 3 times in 6 months!! It scks, I started by getting a fever and of course pain in my breast, it was also red and swollen, I also was sweating alot!! I had to get antibiotics to clear it up..... It was hurting to BF super bad but they told me to continue BF...
    June_Mama09

Answer by June_Mama09 at 4:31 PM on Jun. 28, 2010

• They told me to stop nursing! I used warm compress for the first couple of weeks, then went to cold.. I also put on a tight sports bra to stop my milk flow. I was making enough milk to feed two babies.. it was horrible. I did pump about an ounce each day, each breast to relieve some of the swelling.
    comermom

Answer by comermom at 2:59 PM on Jun. 29, 2010