How to organize & implement A "chore chart"/Rule system

I am looking for ideas that will help me begin using a "chore chart" with my kids. Not only do I want to have a system to track their various chores, I also want to find a way to implement a type of behavior chart with a reward/consequence aspect of it. I have 8 kids, and 7 of which I would like to try this with. Does anybody have any ideas, or stories to share. What has or has NOT worked for you, and what types of things to you put on them, and how do you reward? Looking for any insight that anyone may be willing to offer. My kids are 14, 12, 8, 7, 5, 3, and 2.
I appreciate any input and help. You are all such great people and I love having this site as a resource.

kiddosX8

Asked by kiddosX8 at 4:27 PM on Jun. 28, 2010 in General Parenting

• We have 5 kids (14, 13, 13, 10, 2), and have tried several different systems, but the one we use know works the best for us. I made a grid with the day of the week across the top, and the kids names down the side. In each box there are chores that they have to do that day. We have an "all or nothing" rule - they get allowance only if all of their chores are done everyday. They have to have their rooms clean for inspection on Sundays. After the first few days, they all (except the 2 yo of course) the kids just checked the chart every morning.
    Scuba

Answer by Scuba at 4:32 PM on Jun. 28, 2010

• Reward was doing something special like a day trip to a museum, park, picnic, etc. All kids had to do their chores for the rewards. It promoted cooperation and they even helped each other out sometimes.
    elizabr

Answer by elizabr at 4:39 PM on Jun. 28, 2010