What can we do about THIS at Walmart?

Its hard to say "its discrimination" since it happened against a 25y/o middle class white male... DH and i have been struggling lately with money (who hasn't?) so he went to take some recent purchases back to walmart. They were the collectable cars (NASCAR) that are big - they cost $20/each. He had three of them (so, that's $60, right?). Anyway, the guy before him in line returned $80 worth of potting soil with NO receipt - DH gets up to the register and the cust. service rep accused him of stealing them. WTF? He checked them at the door when he came in! The CSR was like "What date were these purchased?" (all in the last month to 6 weeks) "Cash or credit?" (some of each...?) What register(s) did you check out at?" Really dude? Then the CSR refused to return them. DH called the other walmart (20 mi away) and they said "Go ahead and bring them up, we'll return them for you." We used to (notice the USED to??) *ctd...*

MunchiesMom324

Asked by MunchiesMom324 at 4:35 PM on Jun. 28, 2010 in Just for Fun

• Wow, I return stuff all the time and have never been asked how it was purchased and which register. Who remembers which register? Honestly. Make a complaint. They'll ignore you, but it's all you can do really, other than not shop there, which you've already decided on. Sorry. They suck.
    Pnukey

Answer by Pnukey at 4:55 PM on Jun. 28, 2010

• Maybe it's a general policy for them to question anything over a certain dollar amount. One bag of potting soil is 'dirt cheap' compared to one of the cars.
    anng.atlanta

Answer by anng.atlanta at 4:41 PM on Jun. 28, 2010

• **ctd** spend TONS of $$ at walmart... we will no longer be darkening their doors! And before you ask, DH hadn't done ANY "no receipt returns". Ever. I know their policy regarding those, and this was not one of those situations.
    MunchiesMom324

Comment by MunchiesMom324 (original poster) at 4:36 PM on Jun. 28, 2010

• I would make a complaint
    June_Mama09

Answer by June_Mama09 at 4:40 PM on Jun. 28, 2010

• Just because he checked them at the door does 't meant they weren't stolen. Also, they do have to capability to look up items and see if they were bought. That's probably what all the questions were for. If it's over $50 without a receipt they have to get a CSM to approve the return.
    SaraP1989

Answer by SaraP1989 at 4:41 PM on Jun. 28, 2010

• I used to be a cashier at WM...I'm pretty sure that over a certain dollar amt without a reciept it is difficult to return items.
    charlotsomtimes

Answer by charlotsomtimes at 4:45 PM on Jun. 28, 2010

• Those sound like the questions they asked me a couple of weeks ago when I tried to return something without a receipt. Mine was a $80 steam cleaner that didn't get hot. They would not return it and the other store in town wouldn't either. Luckily I found the receipt.

I will no longer buy anything from Wmart again that cost more that $49 though.
    SleepingBeautee

Answer by SleepingBeautee at 4:47 PM on Jun. 28, 2010

• Our Wal-Mart apparently can't look up items that easily without a receipt. We left a bag there once and we knew the date, time, and register where we purchased them...the brands and everything...and they couldn't find where we had bought them without our receipt so we never got them back because I misplaced it. Not that that was THEIR problem...I'm just pointing out that looking up the items isn't that easy. They did try. I also think downright accusing someone of stealing for no good reason is a bit presumptuous. I would speak with the manager there and let him know you will not be shopping at his store again. Maybe you'll get an apology.
    ErinHill226

Answer by ErinHill226 at 4:49 PM on Jun. 28, 2010

• ErinHill-that's not a customer service error that's a cashier error. They are supposed to log all bags that are forgotten at customer service but the three years I worked there about 90% of the cashiers didn't. But our Walmart would always just let people go back and get the stuff they forgot.
    SaraP1989

Answer by SaraP1989 at 5:23 PM on Jun. 28, 2010