When did your kids learn?

My dd is turning 6 soon. A couple of weeks ago I took her training wheels off. She is scared so we are struggling to get her to ride now. I am determined to get her riding before the end of summer. Also my mom bought DS a new bike for his birthday (he is 4). He hasn't got it yet, party is Sat. I think I am just going to take the training wheels off and have him learn too. What age did your child learn without training wheels?

Shaylyn318

Asked by Shaylyn318 at 4:37 PM on Jun. 28, 2010 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• Late bloomers around 5-6
    QandA

Answer by QandA at 4:40 PM on Jun. 28, 2010

• Oh I've been wondering this too. DS is 4 and I have a hard enough time getting ds to get on his bike with the training wheels on since he fell off. I think his bike is too big for him though, it's one that looks like a dirt bike and kinda shaped differently. I may end up buying him a smaller one and seeing if that will help him to learn.
    GavinsMommii

Answer by GavinsMommii at 4:45 PM on Jun. 28, 2010

• My son still has training wheels and he is 8. He is scared and I'm not going to force him to learn either. It's not something he has to learn. I figure he will eventually be brave enough to take them off or just choose to not ride a bike.

My brother and I were about 5 or 6.
    Christine0813

Answer by Christine0813 at 4:46 PM on Jun. 28, 2010

• my oldest dd was about 4...my youngest is 6 and sees no future in riding without training wheels...i have a hitchhiker bike that we use when we go for a family bike ride...
    bumblebeestingu

Answer by bumblebeestingu at 4:46 PM on Jun. 28, 2010

• Only my oldest has a two-wheeler at this point. The other kids just aren't interested. He got it when he turned 5 (and he's 6 now). We never put training wheels on. I told him if he was going to have training wheels, he might as well ride the tricycle. That he'd be going from three wheels to four, wasn't it a step backwards? He saw the logic and he was riding like a pro within a week. And by pro, I means he's a daredevil. lol
    nytefae

Answer by nytefae at 4:49 PM on Jun. 28, 2010

• My oldest didn't learn until he was almost 9, my youngest took his own off at 3. Very different kids. I would never just take their trainers off. They need to be ready or they will grow to be afraid of the bike and avoid riding when possible.
    GrnEyedGrandma

Answer by GrnEyedGrandma at 4:50 PM on Jun. 28, 2010

• My daughter was 6 or 7. We took off the training wheels after we noticed they seldom touched the ground any more. If your daughter is afraid to ride, she won't be comfortable enough to practice keeping her balance. There is no age limit on learning to ride without training wheels. My guess is that when the younger child starts riding (with or without training wheels) your daughter's competive spiit may rise to bolster her courage. Nobody wants to be bested by a younger sibling.
    Ernistine

Answer by Ernistine at 4:52 PM on Jun. 28, 2010

• My son is 6 and we just took them off earlier this year. I didn't think he was ready, but he had decided he was, and he turned out to be right. Within an hour he was zooming just fine!
    DDDaysh

Answer by DDDaysh at 4:54 PM on Jun. 28, 2010

• My dd was 5 and my ds had just turned 4, and a week later he was riding training wheel free. Its' funny, as my ds is not very big, about the size of a 3.5 year old.( hes 5 now) So when we take him to the park where there is a bike track, I have several parents come up and ask me how old he is and when he started riding, lol hes' a star everytime lol
    minimo77

Answer by minimo77 at 4:55 PM on Jun. 28, 2010

• My oldest daughter was about to turn 8.  My son was 6 1/2 (learned the same summer).  My middle daughter learned the next summer when she was also 6 1/2.

She was terrified to ride without training wheels and for a week after I took them off she refused to touch her bike.  Then her best friend (also 6) learned to ride and she saw that.  So the next day her little friend taught her.  Just like that.  She learned in about 4 hours and a few days later was riding standing up and putting her feet up by the handlebars, lol.

My 4yo doesn't have a bike yet so she hasn't learned to ride.

justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 5:48 PM on Jun. 28, 2010