How can I get my kids to leave the family dogs alone?

I am currently living with my aunt and uncle whom have 3 big dogs. They are very sweet dogs but my kids will not leave them alone. They hug, kiss, pet and scratch thier backs but they also pinch thier lips, pull thier ears, hit them, pull the tails, and pull on the legs. Thankfully the dogs have put up with alot of it but they have already barked at them and they keep going back and bothering the animals. I have tried everything from punishment and time out to lectures and I can not get them to stop. The dogs are too big to be kept up in a room and have never been raised like that. Everyone is reaching thier breaking point on the issue and it is very stressful. Could anyone help out with advice on this issue?

skysthelimit122

Asked by skysthelimit122 at 4:37 PM on Jun. 28, 2010 in Pets

• How old are the kids?
    preacherskid

Answer by preacherskid at 4:41 PM on Jun. 28, 2010

• I was going to ask how old the kids are as well. If they are older than they should be punished for knowing better. If they are younger I would have them practice being kind and make sure everyone else is treating the dogs kindly as kids pick up on things quickly. I would also make sure that if the dogs and kids are together then someone should be supervising them.
    lil_angel00

Answer by lil_angel00 at 4:47 PM on Jun. 28, 2010

• depending on kids ages
    i have grounded my step daughter from the cat
    she does not "get" how to treat animals
    she is better now at 10
    but was grounded from touching the cat and or dog a few times when she was 6-8 yr old
    fiatpax

Answer by fiatpax at 4:52 PM on Jun. 28, 2010

• DD is 18 months, and we have a dog. We have been working constantly on teaching her to be gentle, as we also have smaller animals. We also, like lil angel suggested, never leave her alone with any animals, whether it's one of ours or someone else's. That way if she does do something, we are able to correct her right there. We have been doing time outs and reminding her and showing her gentle ways to touch and such to help her learn. And if the kids are old enough to understand that they are hurting the dogs, they need to be punished every time, or not allowed alone with the dogs; if they do something to the dogs, THEY leave the room, not the dogs.
    preacherskid

Answer by preacherskid at 4:56 PM on Jun. 28, 2010

• Everytime they hurt the dogs, remove them from the situation and put them in a room. They are in time out and can't come out until you say so.

If that doesn't work, then take away all their toys, fun stuff and whatever. If they go a week without bugging the dog, they can pick out a toy or whatever to get back. IF they do it again, then the toy gets removed again.

The dog's are going to get angry and bite...and then what?
    Acid

Answer by Acid at 4:58 PM on Jun. 28, 2010

• Really not much you can do other then confining the dogs to one place, which would be unfair to the dogs since they are use to not being confined. Do they have a yard to place the dogs atleast for some time away from the children? You will have to supervise your children at all times when it comes to being around the dogs. Although the dogs may have put up with being pulled on, and taken the hits from the children, the danger is there. You really need to keep enforcing the rules of staying away from the dogs. To them they see them as a big excitement and not a danger, but one bite could be disaster.
    Kellyjude1

Answer by Kellyjude1 at 8:43 PM on Jun. 28, 2010

• The kids are 2 and 4. I apologize for not replying sooner. They have not really lived around animals before so I never had to push the issue of how to treat dogs other than to never attempt to pet a strange dog that they don't know. And when we visit other homes where there are animals, they know to be very kind and gentle with them. But as soon as they step in, it all goes out the window. There is always someone present with them when they are around the animals and they will keep doing it even when we see them doing something mean and tell them no. I have read all of your replies and have started to just put them in time out until they get the hint that they just can't do it. Even if they are constantly in it. Being a single mom it's hard for me to be the disciplinary but I believe it is starting to kick in with them. Thank you so much for your help!

skysthelimit122

Comment by skysthelimit122 (original poster) at 1:29 AM on Jun. 29, 2010