Question for Moms who believe pregnant teens should be forced to be parents.

I have read many comments from you stating that a pregnant girl should raise her baby and suffer the consequences of her actions.

Teen HIV/AIDS rates are soaring and teens are, despite encouragement from the American Academy of Pediatrics, teens are almost never tested for HIV.

So, do you also believe that a teen who contracts HIV deserves this death sentence, or should that teen have been able to easily get condoms?

Asked by rkoloms at 4:53 PM on Jun. 28, 2010 in General Parenting

• not at all fatgirl.

People have been pitching a bitch fit over condoms being readily available to teens, an the pro lifers come out in force to proclaim that when a girl gets pregnant she should have to suffer (though if she had had a condom, it likely wouldn't have happened), so... for those same people, should a kid be sentenced to death by HIV because they can't get a condom?

You try being 15 and buying a box of condoms- a lot of store will not sell them to you. People say nasty things, and kids wind up unprotected.
    ObbyDobbie

Answer by ObbyDobbie at 4:58 PM on Jun. 28, 2010

• No one teens or adults should be forced to have a unwanted child, I firmly believe that condoms should be available to teens. You can educate and talk of the morals involved in waiting but teens are going to make their own choices, I would much rather that if my teens (when mine get that age) decide to have sex in highschool that they have the ability to protect them selves from both pregnancy and disease.
    3_ring_circus_

Answer by 3_ring_circus_ at 5:30 PM on Jun. 28, 2010

• Great question! I don't feel that teens should be forced to be parents as punishment, so I'll leave that to others.

I knew a girl who became pregnant as a teen and was coerced into keeping it by her family. Her and her boyfriend raised the baby for at least a year but then I found out that the baby was killed. The father was charged but apparently she was there too. Very sad. I used to babysit the mother when she younger. Of course, MANY teen parents do a great job.
    LittleWeloosMom

Answer by LittleWeloosMom at 4:57 PM on Jun. 28, 2010

• I'm really confused on the question - it seems like you're comparing apples and oranges here..
    FatGirl239

Answer by FatGirl239 at 4:55 PM on Jun. 28, 2010

• Anyone who contracts HIV/AIDS is pretty much under a death sentence. Do I think she should be denied medical help? no. Neither do I believe any new mother regardless of age should be denied help. But Fatgirl is correct when she said your comparing apples to oranges.
    SalemWitchChild

Answer by SalemWitchChild at 4:57 PM on Jun. 28, 2010

• its not hard for teens to get condoms they just go to the store and buy them. i dont think there are age limits on condoms...and yes if a girl gets herself pregnant then she should take care of that child. her parents and family should support, but not raise the child for her because what is done is done....bottom line is the teen girl knew the risk b4 having unprotected sex. but most (not all) teens have the "oh it wont happen to me" state of mind.
    sweetestkitten

Answer by sweetestkitten at 4:58 PM on Jun. 28, 2010

• well i think if they are bold enough to have sex then they should be bold enough to buy the condoms to have sex with. ignore the nast remarks and be proud of the decision you have made to protect yourself....its really not that hard...
    sweetestkitten

Answer by sweetestkitten at 5:01 PM on Jun. 28, 2010

• I don't agree that pregnant teens should be FORCED to be parents... but they SHOULD have the bay and make the choice to raise the child responsibly or to give him/her up for adoption. Abortion is NOTTTTTTTTTTTTTT birth control!
    RutterMama

Answer by RutterMama at 5:07 PM on Jun. 28, 2010

• They should have been able to get condoms. But their parents should be the ones to be discussing things like this with them. Before puberty. Because I know when I became sexually active. My mother had many discussions with me. However, making condoms available doesn't mean the teens will be responsible enough to get them either. Or that a girl will tell a boy he has to wear it. It's hard enough for a girl to tell a boy No let alone to wear protection. Then you can get into the whole discussion of, they are embarassed to be getting condoms, well it does't stop them from having sex. Plus what about the oral sex....that's a whole other topic though.
    2BlondeBabies

Answer by 2BlondeBabies at 5:08 PM on Jun. 28, 2010

• I rarely see someone who is pro life say they should be forced to raise the baby, it is more they should be having the baby. Whether they keep the child or give him/her up for adoption is their business, but aborting the baby as a form of birth control is wrong to many pro life supporters. With that said, condomns should be available to any who want them which they are at a store. I am sorry but as adults we don't get protection handed to us just because we don't want children at that point in time. If you are going to act like an adult and have sex, then you need to deal with protecting yourself and making sure something doesn't happen that you aren't willing to live with, whether that be pregnancy or a STD.
    carmadsmom

Answer by carmadsmom at 5:57 PM on Jun. 28, 2010