Im SAHM and when its time to pay the bills my hubby always complains that he is "too young" for this stress? wth is that?

he will be 23 next month and we have been living together for 3 years. our son is 2, i stay at home AND have apart time job. we cannot afford daycare, but i do work and help here and there as i dont make a whole lot. he pays for all the gas, 400 in rent, 120 on my car, an average of 200 on electricity since its so hot and 15 on trash each month. so thats $735 or so in bills alone and he makes $800+ every 2 weeks. so he could technically pay all the bills with one check if he had to. he also has a few habits such as redbox movies almost on a daily basis, and cigs/beer, which is a $10 a day habit or more depending on if i drink a few beers with him. we live 10 miles from everywhere we go. i dont know what to say when he complains. if i suggest he cut back the cigs/beer, he says they're not a problem, but he complains when having to gas the car or pay the bills he pays. what should i say, its irritating the hell out of me!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 4:58 PM on Jun. 28, 2010 in Relationships

• Some will say it's his age but I don't buy that one. I'm sorry but at 23 a person needs to be an adult and pay bills and not complain. He'd have bills even if he were single. And if I'm understanding correctly, there should be a pretty decent amount of money left over after bills get paid. I agree with you, cigs, beer, and daily redbox stops need to go. Contrary to what he says, they are a big problem if a lot of that money after bills go to purchase those kinds of things. They are not necessary, rent and utilities are. Now, whether he'll ever get that through his head is questionable. You can either keep trying, and point out that the situation could definitely be worse (I can testify to that) or ignore his complaining.
    wildflowers25

Answer by wildflowers25 at 5:05 PM on Jun. 28, 2010

• I'm in my forties, and I still feel the exact same way. Why do we have to pay bills? Life would be a whole lot sweeter if we just got to live with our parents all our lives and maybe keep our money. However, that's not the way it works. If he's feeling this way already, you might want to consider counseling, or talking to him about it. That's not a good sign. Can you consider getting a full time job to help out? Maybe a neighbor or family member can babysit for you???
    m-avi

Answer by m-avi at 5:09 PM on Jun. 28, 2010

• I think the majority of people complain about paying bills. We work hard for our money and the moment we get it, its gone...I can totally understand where he's coming from...since you're working part time, could you take a bill away from him a month? Could he begin saving 10% of his check and in a years time, he won't complain about his overhead bills....in the meantime, don't take it so seriously UNLESS he's putting pressure on you...
    mom2mybabes

Answer by mom2mybabes at 5:22 PM on Jun. 28, 2010