IEP meeting took 3 hours, question...?

why do i have to go to MD in town to have daughter tested for autism, have had two appts, next one, third is thursday, and doctor still has not determined, but a few women who are therapist can decide if daughter has after meeting her once in my home and a couple of them observed her at daycare.

i asked, when the M.D. makes final testing, the school system will not change their opinion if given the doctors findings.

does this sound ass backwards?
i guess i should not be surprised, everything is assbackwards when trying to get help for child with autism, autism is a lesson (for parents) in red tape, ass backward professionals who think they know your child more than you, after all they have spent 30 minutes watching her play on the school playground

fiatpax

Asked by fiatpax at 5:03 PM on Jun. 28, 2010 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• If possible once the doctor has made his determination ask him to attend the meeting with the school. This is what we did and it was amazing to have him there to back me up and tell the school what was needed. I give him a ton of credit for getting our first IEP done right the first time, since then i have had no problems with the school following through. We are also on a seriously tight budget in our school district, so tight in fact they closed school early this year.

Ask your doctor to attend the meeting it will help you get through to the school.
    3_ring_circus_

Answer by 3_ring_circus_ at 11:54 PM on Jun. 28, 2010

• What kind of doctor are you seeing? A general practitioner or a NeuroDevelopmental Pediatrician, Neurologist, and/or Psychologist!? The latter three are the ones BEST qualified to diagnose ASDs

Someone who deals with atypical developmental issues, is going to recognize the signs and symptoms of Autism--which encompasses Pervasive Developmental Disorders and Asperger's. A simple Childhood Autism Rating Scale (CARS), an evaluation by speech and occupational therapists, coupled with the parents observations and input, will result in a "yea or nay" diagnosis.

The primary signs of Autism are: http://www.autismtoday.com/autism_14_signs.htm

LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 5:18 PM on Jun. 28, 2010

• Welcome to what i called the wide world of getting a DX and treatment, you litterally have to train for this experience by arming yourself with knowledge and knowing your rights. What type of doctor are you seeing? When I went to a doctor to get a dx fof my son it did take several visits because they do in depth testing to determine the course of therapy and goals, when your working with the school district they have a list of things they check off and then proclaim the child with such and such condition. If you have a medical Dx the school can NOT tell you differently, the medical dx ranks higher.

Do you have a local early child hood center? normally people such as head start can point you in the right direction so you can find out who you will deal with in the schools. Also you should have been given a booklet about your rights and what to do if you disagree if you didnt get it then ask for one.
    3_ring_circus_

Answer by 3_ring_circus_ at 5:24 PM on Jun. 28, 2010

• Well the same reason my now 10 DD was diagnosed with ADHD, ODD, OCD, CP, Speech delays when she was in preschool---I stopped taking her to the doctor unless she had a cold, fever, or bladder infection, told the school to shove it or we'd go someplace else, I wanted to wait and see. She two hard years od preschool, in kindergarten she turned it all around, all by herself, now she is an A student, cute, popular and getting to be athletic on baskeball and softball, she is a good singer. The only thing wrong with her is she has a BIG ATTITUDE, like she knows everything, and she hates cleaning her room.
    blue_glass_mama

Answer by blue_glass_mama at 5:14 PM on Jun. 28, 2010

• I am somewhat lost in your question here. You were in an IEP, but are asking about the doctor apt and, I'm assuming Behavior Therapists observing your child, to determine she has Autism? Are you trying to see if her actual diagnosis is a form of Autism or are you upset that a few therapists determined her to be autistic after short visits while a doctor has several appointments of testing for it? Or are you just venting :) Any good doctor wouldn't want to jump in and diagnosis a child until that is deffinately the issue, plus there is a whole Autism Spectrum that has other diagnosis that go along with it, other disabilities that can tie into it.
    The problem with therapists, depending on what state you live in, there is only so many therapists to go around and they are only paid for a certain period of time. I have a Mental Health degree and before decided to be a SAHM I worked as a therapist. Running out of space.....
    2BlondeBabies

Answer by 2BlondeBabies at 5:20 PM on Jun. 28, 2010

• ..... It's hard because once that child is "labeled" with something that is in their permanent medical records. It is frustrating. And things differ from state to state I am sure. But you know your child and their behaviors best. And you as a parent have to work with other professionals to the best of your and their abilities to assist your child in what they need. I wish you luck!!!!
    2BlondeBabies

Answer by 2BlondeBabies at 5:22 PM on Jun. 28, 2010

• I believe if a doctor diagnoses a child then the school has to use the professionals opinion. You need to look into that for sure. There are advocates that you can call to help you sort through the BS of the school's. It should take more than a few minutes of observation to diagnose anything. Your doctor seems to doing it the right way IMO. Call the state advocates in your state, they are out there, finding will take a little research on your part because the schools typically don't want you to know about it.

Cindy18

Answer by Cindy18 at 6:10 PM on Jun. 28, 2010

• Both of my parents are educators. My mom in special education and my dad is a superintendent. Trust me when I tell you- you have all the rights. If you threaten to sue, they will do whatever you want. If your child has a diagnosis and you need an IEP, you will get what you want as far as services. The schools are legally bound to it.
    hollyanne31

Answer by hollyanne31 at 6:37 PM on Jun. 28, 2010

• child Psychologist appt on thursday, he is doing testing gars or sars (forgot name) for autism
    third one, yess it takes a while, as it should

IF doctors says she does have autism, and school says no they do not hink she does, why does the doctor NOt out weigh the school

it sounds assbackwards to me

school says she only needs a bit of therapy, if she does have autism , sghe would qualify for more time therapy, but school therpaists saw her once each and say she does not have sutism, yet an MD takes four or five hurs sprend over days to determine if she has
    fiatpax

Comment by fiatpax (original poster) at 5:38 PM on Jun. 28, 2010

• she has had speech, OT and play therapists coming to the home for a year with the birth to three program, she will be three in a onth so that will end, getting her into school sytem all of her therapists who have worked with her for almost a year say that they think she is in spectrum, highly functioning maybe but yes autism, now the school system tht does have limited budget sees my daughter for a hour and they say no autism, which means limited help for her education, they have to give her speech because no denying she does not speech much i think they are cutting corners, i did not sign ANYTHING today, will have to check into if they are cutting corners on helping my daughter, appt with doctor, if he can make autism diagnosis then need to know if school has to take his findings, they said to me that they do not

fiatpax

Comment by fiatpax (original poster) at 5:44 PM on Jun. 28, 2010