When did you...(for moms with older kids)

My DS (8) has been asking when he can use the lawnmower. I know he's too young now, but he likes to have a timeframe to work towards. We are talking about a push mower (not a lawn tractor), so any general thoughts would be greatly appreciated. Hopefully, by the time he is old enough to use it, he'll still want to.

CaLizzyMom

Asked by CaLizzyMom at 5:04 PM on Jun. 28, 2010 in General Parenting

• when he is 12. Or when the center of his chest meets the handle bar, that would be the time i would be ok with it.

My son is 8 also and asking the same thing.
    MomOfDagJag

Answer by MomOfDagJag at 5:06 PM on Jun. 28, 2010

• I was paid to mow our lawn when I was 8-9, and by the time I was 10 I had a little business of it!

Teach him how to properly mow, stay out there with him, and make him wear safety gear- Glasses, heavy shoes,long pants, mask. As long as he CAN push it easily, and stays hydrated, he should be fine. Just supervise him.
    ObbyDobbie

Answer by ObbyDobbie at 5:17 PM on Jun. 28, 2010

• You could get him one of those.. I think it's called a rotary mower or some such thing. Like you see in old timey movies. We got ours for about $85 and my 6yo mows half and I mow the other. Makes him feel manly (lol) and I pay him a couple of dollars.As long as the grass isn't too high, there's not much to it.
    nytefae

Answer by nytefae at 5:25 PM on Jun. 28, 2010

• I used to mow the lawn, which was huge, at 8. Didn't do me wrong. No one made me, I liked to,
    fefe87

Answer by fefe87 at 5:06 PM on Jun. 28, 2010

• Our neighbor's little boy is 8 and they are teaching him how. He is mowing my lawn this summer. They are outside with him the whole time though.
    m-avi

Answer by m-avi at 5:06 PM on Jun. 28, 2010

• Well..honestly...I always think my son is too young for anything he wants to do,lol. It takes a nudge from his father or his step father to get me to let him do those types of things. My son used a pull start push lawn mower for the first time when he was about 8 and then last summer when he was 9...my brilliant dh decided to let him drive the lawn tractor! I about had a heart attack, I wouldn't even go outside to watch. Two days later..I found out its a good thing I didn't watch because he drove it into a ditch!!!! LOL
    kimberlyinberea

Answer by kimberlyinberea at 5:08 PM on Jun. 28, 2010

• Thanks for all the advice! I like the one about height, that makes sense, but he's a little smaller than average, so it might be a little while....
    CaLizzyMom

Comment by CaLizzyMom (original poster) at 5:17 PM on Jun. 28, 2010

• He could start learnign now if someone walked with him. I think he can do it alone at 10..11 for sure if he is good at stuff like that.
    ria7

Answer by ria7 at 5:19 PM on Jun. 28, 2010

• Oh yeah, I guess I should have mentioned, its a self-propelled mower (the front wheels pull the mower) and our ground is very uneven, sometimes I have trouble with it. But I might let him start helping me with the front yard (we have an acre all together, about a quarter of it is the front yard).
    CaLizzyMom

Comment by CaLizzyMom (original poster) at 5:19 PM on Jun. 28, 2010

• My son wanted to mow the lawn at around 8 or 9, but we have a self-propelled mower so we didn't think it was a good idea. He is the right height for his age (he's 12 now) but he is just too small weight-wise. The mower would end up pulling him. Just this spring, we started letting him mow our friend's yard. She has a lawn tractor and she asked us and him if he wanted to. He is ALWAYS supervised.
    offrdngal

Answer by offrdngal at 5:21 PM on Jun. 28, 2010