What are the best flowers/shrubs to plant around a playground?

I live in the mid-south and I need to landscape our playground area. The area itself is mulched and bordered. I am looking to plant some shrubs around the perimeter of the border. Part of the perimeter is sunny and part is shady. I am thinking butterfly bushes maybe. I also need a flowering vine to grow on the fence. Any suggestions?

ARgal

Asked by ARgal at 5:13 PM on Jun. 28, 2010 in Home & Garden

• You won't want something with thorns, or that drops berries, or that draws bees or bugs. Euonymus may suit your purpose, they are pretty hardy. Winged Euonymus has interesting branches and doesn't get huge. For a vine, morning glories come in many colors and varieties.

Answer by Bmat at 5:18 PM on Jun. 28, 2010

• Blue Plumbago....very beautiful, drought tolerant, nice size.
    South Carlina vine is yellow and beuatiful, wont freeze.
    Pittisporium- a wide range of greens and wont freeze either, need pruning once in a while, very round bush.
    3gigglemonsters

Answer by 3gigglemonsters at 5:46 PM on Jun. 28, 2010