What is a job with daytime hours and no weekends for a Mom whose husband works nights until 9:00 and also Saturdays?

I have a bachelor's degree, but not in a highly marketable area (fine art). I would consider going back to school to take a few classes to shift to something that is in higher demand, but don't know what I could actually shift to, since I don't have much in the way of science or math in my undergraduate degree. I'm substitute teaching right now K-6 (well, not now since the year is over and not nearly every day) and I work in retail at other times, but my hours have been cut. The schools are not hiring art teachers (they are getting rid of one at the HS!), or I would likely go back to get certified to teach that. I have to find something, but I'm on my own with the kids a lot (12 and 16

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 5:17 PM on Jun. 28, 2010 in Money & Work

• You could do something in the insurance/finance industry. Those typically have "bankers" hours, M-F., 8-5. You don't necessarily need a degree in those areas but of course for better pay, it helps.
    thatgirl70

Answer by thatgirl70 at 5:24 PM on Jun. 28, 2010

• I was going to suggest teaching or Associate Teaching (Teacher's Aide)--most are full-time with paid benefits and days off., but since your districts are cutting or freezing positions, have you considered working in a physician's office--maybe billing, transcriptions, front office? Or a lawyer's office--real estate attorney, family law, etc0--I doubt there would be a shortage of work in those specialties! Are there any possibilities in your town's municipal building/town hall?

Those are the kinds of businesses that traditonally keep M-F daytime hours. You might also want to check out some of the temp agencies and see if they have any office work--PT or FT,; temp to perm??

LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 5:25 PM on Jun. 28, 2010

• www.iboplus.com/rcolter to work from home if you're interested. otherwise, insurance or office work
    TheDiva320

Answer by TheDiva320 at 5:26 PM on Jun. 28, 2010

• Sales Rep. Pharmaceutical, or anything really. Also Merchandising would be an excellent deal for you!
    m-avi

Answer by m-avi at 6:11 PM on Jun. 28, 2010

• How about a work from home job where you work when you want to. www.trumpnetwork.com/nicolemuschett. Let me know what you think. I will help you every ste of the way. Save the money you would put back into school and invest it in your own business
    chiro789

Answer by chiro789 at 8:05 PM on Jun. 28, 2010

• Most office jobs are during the weekdays with no weekends. Have you ever considered graphic design, since you already have a background in art? If you are interested, you could probably take a few classes at a local community college or online to learn how to use some of the common graphics design software packages.
    andrea96

Answer by andrea96 at 9:24 AM on Jun. 29, 2010

• You can search for jobs that match your skillset and have a telecommute or remote option. Do you have a former employer you could work for remotely? If you have a computer with high speed internet & Microsoft Office Pro & have at least intermediate MS Office skills, you should be able to find work as a virtual assistant (VA). For more information, go to www.ivaa.org.
    Do you have a skill or experience that you can turn into a home based business? I have a friend who makes children's hair accessories in her basement & sells them to boutiques around the Midwest. My husband runs a handyman business from our home. I work from home with three lines of business; I am doing lead generation for a sales and service organization; I do freelance bookkeeping & business organization; I also do career & job search coaching. I am always happy to help cafemoms (and dads) with resumes, cover letters, job search strategy & interview prep.

Answer by rkoloms at 9:26 AM on Jun. 29, 2010

• I'm a distributor for Mia Bella candles,bath and beauty products and love love the clean burning natural candles, they smell up my home! AlsoI'm a consultant for La Bella Baskets and it has been doing real well. Join today for 1.97!! You don't have to do parties,or inventory or quotas. Free 200 leads every month and the company is nation wide. If you like more info p.m. me with your fullname and email.

Have a great day!

Income 4 You

Jen
    uniquemom30

Answer by uniquemom30 at 3:52 PM on Jun. 29, 2010