HOW CAN A MOM HELP HER LOVED ONE GET OFF DRUGS HELP?

queend45

Asked by queend45 at 2:30 AM on Jun. 28, 2008 in Adult Children (18+)

• Get them to NA (narcotics annonymous)
    manna1qd

Answer by manna1qd at 1:39 PM on Jun. 28, 2008

• An addict can only change if they are ready to change. You can offer services, advice, support, and help but you can do nothing to force them to quit. Drug addiciton is a very powerful disease that can not always be treated. My ex husband is still an addict after rehab, marriage counseling due to addiction, spiritual counseling, divorce, and the birth of his son to his girlfriend. I would strongly suggest an intervention involving multiple members of a support system for the addict but thats about all you really can do. Unless its a minor and then you can admit them to rehab yourself.
    HeatherTurner

Answer by HeatherTurner at 2:51 PM on Jun. 28, 2008

• As a recovering addict myself I can only tell you what my parents did for me for many years.
    They loved me no matter what but they did not enable me for any reason. There was no money coming from them, no hand outs what so ever! Heather is right, it will stop when the addict hits rock bottom and we have to pray that the bottom isn't 6 feet under. My middle child is following in his mother's footsteps all to well. He has gotten into trouble and has had to get himself out. He knows that he can come to me when he is done with that lifestyle but at the same time he knows that as long as he is active I don't want him around. Tough love is the hardest love to give but it is a must when you are talking about drugs or alcohol.
    My prayers are with you. Let go and let God.
    FLHippyMom

Answer by FLHippyMom at 3:30 PM on Jun. 29, 2008

• You can't. THEY have to WANT help and get it themselves. There are 12 step groups, and hospitals where they can go IF THEY WANT TO. Other wise, no matter what you do, they won't change.
    Keriokeeee

Answer by Keriokeeee at 6:30 PM on Jun. 29, 2008

• TAKE IT FROM AN EX DRUG ADDICT... YOU CAN'T CHANGE THEM UNTILL THE ARE READY TO CHANGE THEMSELVES..
    DOVE5397

Answer by DOVE5397 at 12:06 AM on Jun. 30, 2008

• I was raised in a home where everyone was addicted to drugs or alcohol. They will steal, lie, and everything else for their addiction. Their whole life is all about getting the next high.
    I know one thing for sure, they will not really quit until they have decided they have had enough. Your crying and begging and pleading will not help. They will need to go to N/A or A/A or some place like that. They need to get to the root of the problem and get support from others who have been there. Seeing all that my family went through and everything they lost as a result of being addicts had a profound effect on me. I know you are suffering because of their choices but just try to get them to get into a treatment center and don't enable them by always bailing them out of trouble. "Tough Love" works best.
    makeitlast4ever

Answer by makeitlast4ever at 9:57 AM on Jul. 1, 2008

• I think all the answers are great and right. I have a son who has been on drugs for a long time and you have to use some tough love. Even as tough as it is on you. Just always find someone to talk to because it can be a lifeline for you when all things seem bad.Just pray for them and know that everything is in Gods hands, we cannot control the future or other peoples choices. If we could we would never have worries. Like thet say without sadness there would be no happiness. Pray and try to hold on to your own sanity. Good luck to you & yours and God Bless you all
    JJKKmom

Answer by JJKKmom at 4:03 PM on Aug. 16, 2008