Do you think it's fair for a parent to tell their child they will be home at a certain time when much of the time, that is not possible?

Sometimes my husband really does have to work late, sometimes he is just hanging out after work with a co-worker who I'd love to make disappare but that is another story. Right now my husband is on call, will be for at least the next week. They are very shorthanded normally and it's going to be even worse for the next couple of weeks. Employees are going on vacations so this week is my DH's turn for long hours. I get it, that is how he supports us. I'm not trying to run him down for that. I just don't like that he tells our son that he'll be home at such and such time when we both know that right now that won't happen. I hate to see DS standing by the door or window waiting. I engage him in an activity but it hurts me to see him waiting on daddy or ask if daddy is coming home. Am I overreacting like DH says I am or would you have a problem with this too?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 5:34 PM on Jun. 28, 2010 in General Parenting

• I definatley get what your saying. As if its not frustrating enough for you not knowing when he coming home or what hes doing now you have your little one wondering and asking and counting down the minutes. And with alot of OT he probably misses him as is. I would sit down with ur DH and tell him how upset your son is when he isnt home when he says he is going to.
    OliviasMommy614

Answer by OliviasMommy614 at 5:40 PM on Jun. 28, 2010