Harm None...

I'm working on another blog post and I'm looking for some broader information. I know Wiccan's have the "An Ye Harm None" and that most there religions have some form of this "Don't harm others" rule...

So here is my question. What is your religion, is there are "Don't harm others" rule and what is it?

Asked by SabrinaMBowen at 5:39 PM on Jun. 28, 2010 in Religion & Beliefs

• I'm Christian, and there's the "Do unto others" rule...I suppose that's similar...is that what you're looking for?
    renea20

Answer by renea20 at 5:41 PM on Jun. 28, 2010

• lol @ renea- I do believe the bible explicitly states "Thou Shalt Not Kill".... but what do I know, I am an Atheist.
    ObbyDobbie

Answer by ObbyDobbie at 5:47 PM on Jun. 28, 2010

• Well, I'm a universalist, which basically means that I don't believe in one doctrine or religion, but rather that all people are under the consideration and love of God. Universalism reflects religions in an inclusive manner, believing in a universal reconciliation between humanity and the divine. However, I do like the Buddhism saying by the Dalai Lama, " My religion is very simple. My religion is kindness." And another, "Our prime purpose is to help others. If you cannot help them, at least do not hurt them". :)
    LovingSAHMommy

Answer by LovingSAHMommy at 5:47 PM on Jun. 28, 2010

• Heathen, and there is not. You are expected to be self-reliant and responsible. You do not give respect unless it is deserved. The idea of "do unto others" would be the equivalent of groveling - giving them more status/respect than they may deserve, which in turn only makes you look worse. You are polite and hospitable, there are rules to be followed and debts that must be repaid. Most of all, it is not a "peaceful" religion, where turning the other cheek or "harming none" is somehow more noble.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 5:48 PM on Jun. 28, 2010

• The idea of "do unto others" would be the equivalent of groveling - giving them more status/respect than they may deserve, which in turn only makes you look worse."

It's about selflessness, and being the better person. It's about forgiveness, and kindness. I don't think that makes anyone look worse. In my opinion, it shows that not only have you not stooped to their level, but you've risen above it. I think actions like that are commendable. I suppose it's all about personal interpretation.
    LovingSAHMommy

Answer by LovingSAHMommy at 5:57 PM on Jun. 28, 2010

• It's about selflessness, and being the better person. It's about forgiveness, and kindness. I don't think that makes anyone look worse.

Which is why they are different religions. Mine does not consider that being "the better person" it considers it being the "lessor person". You don't get to say I'm interpreting it wrong because your own religion does it differently. You are trying to cram the rules of my faith into your bible where it most definitely does not belong. They aren't even from the same continent.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 5:59 PM on Jun. 28, 2010

• You know Heathenism is the ONLY religion I could think of that didn't have a rule like this... I was actually hoping to find others, but I haven't been able to...

And yes, both "do un to others" and "thou shalt not kill" would carry a similar weight as "harm none"

Comment by SabrinaMBowen (original poster) at 6:04 PM on Jun. 28, 2010

• You don't get to say I'm interpreting it wrong because your own religion does it differently."

I never said you interpreted it incorrectly. I was just pointing out a Christian point of view and how they view it, seeing that Renea had just mentioned the exact quote you were discussing . My religion doesn't focus on the Bible either. My religion doesn't focus on one continent, or one religion. If you read my previous post, you'd see where I stated that.
    LovingSAHMommy

Answer by LovingSAHMommy at 6:05 PM on Jun. 28, 2010

• There's no universal rules for being atheist LOL. My moral compass tells me that it's wrong to hurt others for sport, only in self defense.

Also, as a citizen of the United States, it's unlawful for me to hurt anyone and try to get away with it.

caitxrawks

Answer by caitxrawks at 6:07 PM on Jun. 28, 2010

• You know Heathenism is the ONLY religion I could think of that didn't have a rule like this.

Satanism. Which reminds me someone needs to go drag MCG back once in a while.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 6:07 PM on Jun. 28, 2010