Does your library have a summer reading program?

Ours does and we do it every year, I have noticed htat this year it is scaled WAY back and doesnt seem to encourage the kids to want to visit the library every week like in years past. I am a little sad to see the changes but i still take everyone weekly.

3_ring_circus_

Asked by 3_ring_circus_ at 5:47 PM on Jun. 28, 2010 in Just for Fun

• Ours has a program that they do year round called smarty pants. They also offer a summer reading program but we aren't old enough for that yet.
    coala

Answer by coala at 5:49 PM on Jun. 28, 2010

• Ours does, but we don't participate.
    Pnukey

Answer by Pnukey at 5:50 PM on Jun. 28, 2010

• We have one, but they will only let kids 4 and up come to story time. Which I think is crazy. I think the little kids should be able to be involved to as long as the parents are there with them, I found this out because last year I was going to take my then new born and 3 year old niece to story time and they wouldn't let us. My niece was so upset, so we ended up going to walmart and buying a bunch of books and I read to them all day...lol
    BlainesMommy09

Answer by BlainesMommy09 at 5:51 PM on Jun. 28, 2010

• our library does but i have to work that day so my husband takes the kids, last week there was 30 kids and only 2 parents! it was a total madhouse! they still go but it does take a parent to help, they have cut their help BIGTIME
    youlookin4me

Answer by youlookin4me at 5:51 PM on Jun. 28, 2010

• Our library has one and we signed up for it last week, but I'm going to go in and complain about it. My youngest gets points for reading for a certain number of minutes, but my oldest gets points by reading a certain number of pages. That may not be a big deal if you're kid's a great reader, but if they have reading difficulties or are a slow reader (like mine) it's impossible for them to meet the 300 page per level goals. His 5 yo sister is breezing through the levels because she only has to read for 15 minutes, but the only way he'll be able to even reach the first goal of 300 pages is if he puts down the more difficult books he wants to read and starts reading Dick and Jane! Grrrr!
    jessradtke

Answer by jessradtke at 5:55 PM on Jun. 28, 2010

• Ours does and we signed up. We have every year. Story time isn't really included in the reading program per se, but those hours will count towards their reading hours.
    MeandMyBabes

Answer by MeandMyBabes at 6:24 PM on Jun. 28, 2010