If a spouse is staying at home with the kids,do you think it's ok for them to go to school as well or focus mainly on the children?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 5:48 PM on Jun. 28, 2010 in General Parenting

• Having an education is ALWAYS as good idea. It is something to fall back on. I will admit that it can be a struggle to go to school while you have little ones at home, but it is worth it. At least, for me it was.
    PhoenixFire

Answer by PhoenixFire at 5:50 PM on Jun. 28, 2010

• I think that the person in question is more than capable of taking evening and online classes as well as weekend classes in oreder to help move them ahead further in life so that both parents can provide better financially for the family.
    coala

Answer by coala at 5:50 PM on Jun. 28, 2010

• Its possible to balance both I suppose.
    3gigglemonsters

Answer by 3gigglemonsters at 5:50 PM on Jun. 28, 2010

• Yes I do. I think as long as it is not financially impossible for you as a couple and you don't have to worry about daycare then there is no harm in bettering yourself especially since the only people it will benefit in the long run is your family.
    carmadsmom

Answer by carmadsmom at 5:50 PM on Jun. 28, 2010

• i'm a SAHM, and i'll be going to school. it depends on what you or your spouse feel about it.. if you're the one staying home, would you rather be there 24/7 or do something for yourself that's productive as well? same with the spouse. i feel i will be there mostly for my son, just not when im in school. but thanksfully i have my mother to watch him
    kittenripmaygo

Answer by kittenripmaygo at 5:51 PM on Jun. 28, 2010

• It is absolutely okay to go to school even if staying home with the children. I'm doing it right now. I wanted to take evening classes but what I am doing is only offered online through our community college so I'm doing that. It's not easy but with working hard and applying myself, I can make our lives better. We won't have to struggle and stress about every penny. We'll be happier and our kids will benefit from that.
    wildflowers25

Answer by wildflowers25 at 5:58 PM on Jun. 28, 2010

• what? thats insane... bettering your education is ALWAYS a good idea.. I cant wait till my twins start school so I can have some time to go to school myself =)
    FITmama2B

Answer by FITmama2B at 5:59 PM on Jun. 28, 2010

• A lot of women do both!!!!

Answer by older at 6:01 PM on Jun. 28, 2010

• There are plenty of families where both parents work and children do well and are happy so i don't see where a SAHM parent fitting in school is a problem. There are plenty of weekend and evening classes where the working outside the home parent can do some childrearing or the SAHM can utilize child care centers and the kids bonus with socialization.
    jamesonjustines

Answer by jamesonjustines at 6:01 PM on Jun. 28, 2010

• I think it's ok if you can handle it. I didn't think I could, so I chose not to go back to school while my kids were small. I know plenty of other moms who managed just fine though.
    jessradtke

Answer by jessradtke at 6:02 PM on Jun. 28, 2010